• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tag Decoding 1962 Dodge

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
I haven't completed my Fender tag decoding. I'm at a standstill. Any information would be appreciated. Fill in the blanks, double check what I have. (questions highlighted in blue)
Also, how do you figure out the fiscal year date for the SO Number. Thanks in Advance!
20161121_115945.jpg

Fender Tag Decoded for 1962 Dodge Polara 500. VIN #5422......

2 under C = code 342, A727 Torqueflight
2 under D = (Power Brakes? No signs of that op)
5 under G = code 385, Heater with Defroster
8 under M = code 328, Windshield Washer -Dual Jet
2 under T = code 652, Sold Car Expedite

SO = (not sure how to translate)
NUMBER = 166th Order Number
BDY = code 542, 2 Door Hardtop or Polara 500
TRM = code 853, Interior(8) Buckets, (5) Vinyl, (3) Cocoa/Beige
PNT = code UUY1 (UU)Shell Beige, (1)Mono Tone (Y)Rosewood (Rosewood or Nutmeg Brown)

VIN # 5422
5 = Dart V8
4 = Polara 500 (12286 produced)
2 = 1962
2 = Hamtramck Missouri

You have done very well kid!

35(2) Power brakes is right
24th November 1961 24/11 too late in the year for 1962 ...24th November 1962 would be for 1963 models
542 is 2 door hardtop but the 4 in the Vin denotes it as a polara 500
Nutmeg brown poly for the sports sweep insert.

SO is the build date. I believe it is Nov 24 (1124)

The power brakes option, there isn't any sign, whatsoever of this car having them. No booster, the manifold "T" is just a small nipple for the heater control. You never know?

It does have the optional light package, e-brake light, trunk light. No listing on the tag. Unless that was standard on the 500.

So, 24th of November, 1961 for the SO?

Good job kid. I have attached mine. We are close to having the same car.

Mine also shows no sign of having power brakes. Does your info show what a 1 under the K means? Thanks.
FenderTagOne.jpg

I also have the e-brake light, trunk light and mine has a glove box light that actually works.

Good job kid. I have attached mine. We are close to having the same car.

Mine also shows no sign of having power brakes. Does your info show what a 1 under the K means? Thanks.
View attachment 374002

I'm not sure what category the letter "K" is.

I noticed that 1962polara replied in your thread that it was "tinted glass all windows", which would be code 431. Mine has all of the windows tinted but no code under a letter.

What plant was your car built? Forth number on your vin plate. (inside your front door hinge post) I'm guessing Hamtramck because they didn't use the second line above the letters for codes.

20161121_173114.jpg

I've been working on decoding my Fender tag, off and on for ten years or better. Mostly by example, comparing other '62 Darts and Polaras with their findings. I have plenty of option codes for '62-'65 but matching them up to the third line of letters on the tag gets tricky.

Knowing what letter dictates what category then matching the code's last number to it. Each plant did things different on their tags. The letter category is different between them, for example Lynch Rd uses the letter "A" for the engine code and Hamtramck uses the letter "N" for engine codes.

Having the Broadcast Sheet will take a lot of the guesswork out of decoding the fender tag, if you have it, and I don't. Someone else had removed the seats, removed the carpet, removed the glove box, then reinstalled them. The three places you find the sheet.

Last edited:
My vin is the same as yours. No sign of broadcast sheet on mine. The interior was redone before I bought it. I checked every place except under carpet.

The tag for the 62's doesn't always list every option as later model cars did. The build sheet is what you want to see ,for all options your car came with.Requesting the build sheet from Chysler Historical Society would to your benefit.
Some records they may not have but both my 62s where there and I have the IBM cards from CHS.

As far as the Hammtramck's tag's go.
A & B see below.*

C is transmission
1 manual 3 Spd (341)
2 A727 torqueflite (342)
3 Torqueflite 6 (343)
4. Manual 6(344
6 T85 3 Spd (346)

Both D & E denote power options
1 power steering (351)
2 power brakes (352)
3 power seat (353)
4 power windows (354)
5 tailgate lift window (355)

F is radios
1 radio music master (361)
2 astrophonic am radio (362)

G heaters & aircon
1 air conditioning w/heater (381)
5 heater with defrost (385)

H is station wagon items
Eg wind deflectors ect...

I is safety items
1 Safety belts (2 front only) (411)
4 deluxe steering wheel (414)
5 padded inst panel (415)

J is interior items
1 clock (421)
2 cigar lighter (422)
3 backup lights (423)

K is glass items
1 all tinted windows (431)
2 Front only (432)

L is bumper guards
1 bumper guards vehicle front (441)
3 bumper guards frt & back (443)

M
8 windshield washer -dual jet (428)
9 variable speed windshield wipers (429)

N is engine options.

Polara 500 also come standard with accessory group (323)
Assist light group -trunk light,handbrake warning light,glovebox light.
So this won't appear on tag.

* Hammtramck Dart 330,440's
On some of these tag's under A accessory group & B convenience group options can appear all together rather than individually stamped on the tag.
A on the tag
1 (321) Basic-Radio group- radio music master,heater hot water w/ defroster,Backup lights,outside mirror-left ,inside glareproof mirror,wheel covers

B on the tag
2 (322) power steering,padded instrument panel,windshield washer,windshield wipers- variable speed.

Last edited:
Also notice the difference in the font for both tags above?
One is sharp and fine the other is thicker . I have one of each , maybe they had 2 different stamping machines or is was a time of change over.

My (Dart 440 )is a fine font tag is dated 23rd Jan 1962 & khryslerkid's (polara 500) is 24th November 1961
And the thicker type font is 9th October 1961 (my polara 500) & Flagcraig's is 14th September 1961 (his polara 500)

I have seen a lot of thicker font polara 500 tags also but fewer fine font ones.

Don't know the answers but it is interesting !

Last edited:
The tag for the 62's doesn't always list every option as later model cars did.
Thanks for the letter references 1962polara.

I have the Chrysler Corporation Production Option Code Book 1962-1965 forth edition Feb, 2004 and they only give you four letters, C,G,N,T. Maybe a newer edition would give you more. There is plenty of option codes in there though.

Interesting observation on the tag stampings.

I'm wondering about Craig's and my Polaras not having power brakes but are stamped for that option. According to any brochures, the power brakes are an option.

Also in my researching, I just discovered that all 1962 Polara 500s were built at the Hamtramck plant. Didn't realize that fact.

What's your take on a car that was ordered, 2 under the T, code 652, Sold Car Expedite. Dealer ordered or customer ordered? The person who had this car didn't like all the bells and whistles. No power steering, brakes, radio, ac, ect. Working in shops back in the 70's, a lot of customers had the veiw point that the more options your car had, there was that much more to go wrong.

Chrysler, downsizing the '62 Darts didn't go over too well with a lot of buyers, so I'm guessing they did what the had to to sell them. Sit down with the customer and draw up an order to their liking so they could make a deal. The history of the 62 is really interesting and was the main reason I bought this one. Not my favorite B body but it has a way of growing on you. Chrysler's step child!

Thanks again for the invaluable info!

Khryslerkid, the 1962's are my favourite of all .As a kid I loved them from the time Sylvester Marcus in 'it's a mad,mad,mad,mad ,mad world'
flew thoroughly the air in that red convertible.
It's a great story too of the start of Chryslers drag racing history (sort of) with introduction of the 413 Super Stock cars breaking records .

As to your question Yes T/2 on the tag is sold car expidite -dealer ordered car for owner.
Both cars came with power brakes going by the tags, changing out the booster & rod is not unheard of...as is many other alterations by owners over the last 55 years.

Have you applied to Chrysler Historial Society for you build sheet on the IBM card??
It will fill in all your queries

Have you applied to Chrysler Historial Society for you build sheet on the IBM card??
It will fill in all your queries

It's on my bucket list! Lol And I do remember the movie It's a Mad, Mad.....World. Watched it more than once!
I've always wanted to do an ownership history on it too. I'm suppose to be the third owner but no proof. Also car was rumored to have been bought new in California. Last registration was in Oregon, 1980. I still have the license plates that were on the car when purchased.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on these. Not a lot of info out there so any tidbits are appreciated.

Auto Transport Service
Back