• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

Removed the tank, filter and pump today. Had a look in the tank while I had the fuel neck out of it. I noticed on the sump some rust particals on the bottom, rest of the tank was clean. I then pulled my filter apart and woah.. Definitely a contributor to my problem. This filter was plumbed in before the pump.
IMG_4229.JPG

Cannot understand how much rust there was. Car has always been in a controlled temperature, tank and sump both new..
IMG_4228.JPG

A loaded filter. Explains the car always going flat on the big end. Amazing it went 10.87 @ 123 with this filter on Sunday.

IMG_3029.JPG

The pump had to suck the fuel through that filter and then push it to the front.. Going with the new fuel cell will eliminate this problem. I'm betting that fuel gauge will sit at 7 lbs now and not flicker. Will be good to start being able to fine tune the 64 with this problem out of the way.

I have a 10 gal fuel cell and fill it to exactly 5 gal prior to each run so exactly the same weight every run. With the fuel cell empty I put in 5 gallons. I cut a yard stick in half, stuck in into the fuel cell and marked the stick exactly on 5 gallons. Interesting enuf I use 1 gal on each run...from the pits to the staging lanes, the run down the track and then back to my pit....1 gallon.

Mike, I've already cut my yardstick and will be using your procedure to a T thank you. I'm also using about a gallon per run, like you. With the old filter!

Malex
Looks like a too fine a filter element . Possibly too small as well .
I have a pleated stainless screen filter which also appears bigger ..
Those compacted filters are normally after pump not before .
Coarse filter between tank and pump , fine filter after pump before carb .

Tex

Malex
Looks like a too fine a filter element . Possibly too small as well .
I have a pleated stainless screen filter which also appears bigger ..
Those compacted filters are normally after pump not before .
Coarse filter between tank and pump , fine filter after pump before carb .

Tex

Thanks Tex. A proper 1000 micron will be going in front of the pump like you mention. I'll move this one on the outlet side of the pump. I installed this one based on a recommendation, bad choice.. I sure wasn't expecting to see the floor of that sump rusty like that.

On my Cuda, I use a 100 micron (mesh) before the pump and 10 micro (paper or cellulose) before the carb, as recommended by Aeromotive.

Thanks 65. Going with proper filtering and eliminating the source of the problem. Looking forward to having good constant fuel delivery!

Looking forward to the next time slips! 10.60's?

My old car would burn a bit more than 1 gallon per pass. It would run out on the return road just as it entered the pits. And I used a stock HV water pump with a Moroso belt drive and it kept it cool and never saw it go over 200. Mine would run 10.50's but it was consistent as hell in the 10.60 range. Also, I worked in a refinery for 26 years and the first time I saw the inside of a rusty storage tank that was opened up for maintenance, I knew where all the crud was coming from that I found in my filters. There's no way they are going to filter it down to even 100 microns and you know the retailers are not going to do that either. The refiners that sell race fuel might be more vigilant than that....you would hope.

My old car would burn a bit more than 1 gallon per pass. It would run out on the return road just as it entered the pits. And I used a stock HV water pump with a Moroso belt drive and it kept it cool and never saw it go over 200. Mine would run 10.50's but it was consistent as hell in the 10.60 range. Also, I worked in a refinery for 26 years and the first time I saw the inside of a rusty storage tank that was opened up for maintenance, I knew where all the crud was coming from that I found in my filters. There's no way they are going to filter it down to even 100 microns and you know the retailers are not going to do that either. The refiners that sell race fuel might be more vigilant than that....you would hope.

What surprises me is that only the weld-on sump had the rust, the rest of the tank was good. Perhaps the tank is coated? Regardless, the tank is gonezo and a fuel cell is going in.
I'm using a full gallon per run as well.
The meziere pump sure brought my temperatures way down, over the belt driven pump at the track. I'm sure the electric pump wouldn't be good for cruising but the Plymouth is not too street economical anymore anyways..

Malex's car will absolutely run in the 10.30's and prob even 10.20's in good air when it is sorted out, no question.
Let's hope your right Mike! You sure did make and pass your set goals with your Coronet in no time flat!
One thing I could always bank on so far was that I would never have the same time and speed twice. Very optimistic over here.

Got a good start on the fuel cell install today, except that the cell didn't show up. Tomorrow. Fuel filters and pump are relocated though and cell bracing in place.

IMG_4230.JPG

Aluminum framework is in place, just need to run the strapping once the cell arrives.
IMG_4233.JPG

1000 Micron filter before the pump and 30 Micron after. It's not a 10 Micron but it's here so it will do for now. Pump is also in place, wired and ready to go. Hope there's no rule about the mat...
IMG_4236.JPG

That Dana is much more conspicuous now that the fuel tank is missing. Need to make a new filler plate without the fuel neck provision.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the next time slips! 10.60's?
I'll be seeing 10.60's and less come hell or high water 69! Working the bugs out of it and Larry over at Sled City Fibreglass should have me a hood and front bumper done anytime now. Gone with about 100 lbs off the front end!

What surprises me is that only the weld-on sump had the rust, the rest of the tank was good. Perhaps the tank is coated? Regardless, the tank is gonezo and a fuel cell is going in.
I'm using a full gallon per run as well.
The meziere pump sure brought my temperatures way down, over the belt driven pump at the track. I'm sure the electric pump wouldn't be good for cruising but the Plymouth is not too street economical anymore anyways..
Are you saying you did not reseal your tank after welding in sump ?
I know i did plus others have had to

Tex

100lbs off the nose should be good for a .1

The filter on mine is before the pump, 60 micron. This year after 400 passes I pulled the filter apart to check. Very little debris, no sand or rust. Aluminum fuel cell. Renegade fuel since new. Carbs are always spotless inside. Your filter is to small in my opinion. Mine is the size of the pump. -12 feed,-10 to the regulator,-6 to the carbs. Pump almost behind the tank.
Doug

0203131657.jpg

Last edited:
Here's how i did mine on my Coronet.
Street/Strip
11.20's-11.30's
Best sixty is 1.57
Average is 1.59-1.61

Overkill for a 505
But i'm gathering parts for a B1 540

Looks like you'll be flying with what you're doing!

Mike

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back