• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

I ran a stock tank like you with a sump and it would act up at the end of the track. Fuel pressure would drop and could never figure out why? Tried full and 1/2 tank with same results. Since I switched to a foam filled cell I have 0 issues. Same pump. Same line. Same return. Happy I switched.

The filter on mine is before the pump, 60 micron. This year after 400 passes I pulled the filter apart to check. Very little debris, no sand or rust. Aluminum fuel cell. Renegade fuel since new. Carbs are always spotless inside. Your filter is to small in my opinion. Mine is the size of the pump.
Doug

Hi Doug. Are you referring to the new 1000 micron filter about being too small?
That 30 micron filter that I had in front of the pump inlet was wrong, I realize that now. If there is any good from that, it would be that it did it's job in keeping that rust and crude from getting past.

I ran a stock tank like you with a sump and it would act up at the end of the track. Fuel pressure would drop and could never figure out why? Tried full and 1/2 tank with same results. Since I switched to a foam filled cell I have 0 issues. Same pump. Same line. Same return. Happy I switched.

Wookie, interesting that you experienced that too. Sure is a pain in the butt. I've got a foam filled 8 gallon cell going in. Just waiting for it to show up.
I think though that I was battling 2 problems. Aerating initially and even after running with more fuel, fuel starvation due to the filter being too small and plugging up. I previously had my pump 4' forward of the sump, and it was having to suck the fuel forwards through that small plugged filter. Now I have a coarse filter prior to the pump and the pump is lower than the sump and behind the cell. I'm not sure that I've ever had a proper source of fuel at any point so far. We'll know once the 64 is back up to the track.

And the RCI 8 gallon fuel cell is in and ready to go.
IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

Though you had alot of debris there wasn't much filter area in the plugged one that you showed.
Doug

Though you had alot of debris there wasn't much filter area in the plugged one that you showed.
Doug

Yes agreed. For the small area of that filter, a load of crap came out and I'm certain that's been the reason for the inconsistency of my car. From one run to the other I could be 3 to 4 tenths difference and very noticable on the tach.
I should have checked this before but with all things being new and few runs I simply didn't expect it. Chalking this up to inexperience.
Really need to come back with a good report for you guys for a change. Next weekend!

Going to try again this weekend?

Going to try again this weekend?
Good day 69. It was my intention to go, but will hold off now. For pro the'yre just doing a jackpot day and it's on Saturday. Got some other Diesel weekend going on at the track.

After reading Wookies success with his 511 and 1050 AED set up I'm thinking it's time to get to work on smoothing out my new Super Victor that's sitting here. I've also got the same 1050 AED as he's using. He knocked off big numbers with that 511!

I also purchased a Fiberglass Hood and front bumper from Larry @ Sled City Fiberglass. It's supposed to be done right about now and it sure would be nice to start working on that too. Just waiting for the call from him. You driving that GTX yet?

Sorry to say no, but trying to work on it a little more .

Last year when I ran a 1000 4150 and switched to a Dom I picked up over a 1/10th and almost 2 MPH. That was swapping Manifold also. Not a conversion spacer.

Good day 69. It was my intention to go, but will hold off now. For pro the'yre just doing a jackpot day and it's on Saturday. Got some other Diesel weekend going on at the track.

After reading Wookies success with his 511 and 1050 AED set up I'm thinking it's time to get to work on smoothing out my new Super Victor that's sitting here. I've also got the same 1050 AED as he's using. He knocked off big numbers with that 511!

I also purchased a Fiberglass Hood and front bumper from Larry @ Sled City Fiberglass. It's supposed to be done right about now and it sure would be nice to start working on that too. Just waiting for the call from him. You driving that GTX yet?
Malex...remember i. told u about my friend who has your dual carb setup and runs 10.00

I still run the stock tank, 3/8 pickup and a holley black pump. Making sure both vents are open and the cap is vented is key.
I alslo dead head the pump. The vents aren't big enough to run a bypass system. You could easily add an additional vent as well.

Last edited:
I turned the 4 lines that go into the vapor canister into vents. Never seemed to change.

I also run a stock tank on my dart with a sump and holly hp150. Never an issue.

Malex...remember i. told u about my friend who has your dual carb setup and runs 10.00
Yes Sir Mike, I remember. Have you had your Coronet back to the track yet Mike? And you were mentioning a possible tire change, did you go with something different?

Yes Sir Mike, I remember. Have you had your Coronet back to the track yet Mike? And you were mentioning a possible tire change, did you go with something different?[/QU2OTE] I have not had the car out since I went 10.3 6 at 1:29 and change. Next race is August 24th. I will have my new Trans brake Transmission in by then and maybe new tires but not sure about the tires. When I buy them I'm going to buy 29.5, 92 inch circumference in a stiff sidewall Hoosier Tire

I have not had the car out since it went 10.36 at 1299 and change. Next race is August 24th.. I am putting in my new Trans brake transmission next week. I may not have my new tires for this coming race but when I do buy them they are going to be 29.5 with 92 inch circumference. They will be stiff sidewall Hoosiers

I also run a stock tank on my dart with a sump and holly hp150. Never an issue.

That's something that your stock tank is working for you. Perhaps the different tank shape comes into play somewhat. I'm certain that a lot of the problems that I was experiencing was also related to my filter.
A distant friend of mine runs a 63 with a 528 Hemi and at one time he was using the stock tank and sump. Eventually he switched over to a cell. He said that he would see irrational fuel pressure too. He sumed it up saying that: "I tried to have a street car and a race car together you soon find out its one or the other .." With the fuel cell I'm pretty confident that there won't be any more fuel problems.

Speaking of a Holley pump, mine started leaking on my other car today. The gasket at the bottom on the corner, had to do a quick fix and not another drop afterwards.
Check it out.
IMG_1397.JPG

I have not had the car out since it went 10.36 at 1299 and change. Next race is August 24th.. I am putting in my new Trans brake transmission next week. I may not have my new tires for this coming race but when I do buy them they are going to be 29.5 with 92 inch circumference. They will be stiff sidewall Hoosiers
Mike , who did you use for transmission ?

Tex

In hindsight I should have went with the stiff sidewall too. Will be interesting to see what your RPM is going to end up at. Considering 4.30's for mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back