• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To hell with showroom floor furniture

That machine almost looks like a Minnesota but the markings are not right. The D&D cabinet is a mystery.

Machine is an old Singer 1909. Apparently D&D used to make tons of industrial work bench bases and industrial equipment stands back around the industrial revolution. My initials are DD, so that base is what drew me to the piece.

Machine is an old Singer 1909. Apparently D&D used to make tons of industrial work bench bases and industrial equipment stands back around the industrial revolution. My initials are DD, so that base is what drew me to the piece.
Thimble or bobbin?
I bought an 1892 for the wife one year for Christmas with the original Singer Treddil. Its multiplied she now has 2 in cabinets and two or three motorized from the 1892 to the 1940s.
At last count I think she has 14 machines.
By now you have figured out the cabinets are worth more than the machines?
You have a nice looking old machine there.

Thimble or bobbin?
I bought an 1892 for the wife one year for Christmas with the original Singer Treddil. Its multiplied she now has 2 in cabinets and two or three motorized from the 1892 to the 1940s.
At last count I think she has 14 machines.
By now you have figured out the cabinets are worth more than the machines?
You have a nice looking old machine there.

Funny you say that. Everyone wanted $90-$100 for bases near me. I bought this for $70 because it was complete. Probably going to buy another base to make the sideboard table I was planning to turn this into.

I really have to do some research on this one. I know it isn’t worth anything, just for my own interest. A guy recently told me that people are still making those trendel bases because huge parts of the world still have no electricity.

Very cool pieces you picked up, can't agree more about the quality of the new stuff. I built most of our stuff but when it came time to do the master bedroom I was burned out so we bought a Broyhill set.... guess which piece out of the whole house broke first??

Love the old sewing machine.

Funny you say that. Everyone wanted $90-$100 for bases near me. I bought this for $70 because it was complete. Probably going to buy another base to make the sideboard table I was planning to turn this into.

I really have to do some research on this one. I know it isn’t worth anything, just for my own interest. A guy recently told me that people are still making those trendel bases because huge parts of the world still have no electricity.
Correct on they prefure the trendels. Those old Singers never ware out infact Singer was buying them in the 60s and destroying them so they could sell newer models.
Some day I want an old upholstery machine.

I'm definitely on this ban wagon ! I only have one piece of new furniture in my house!that would be my sofa that was a high end high dollar setup as I needed the elc recliner s and a certain setup for my back everything else is ether hand made by me or my grandfather! Or 80+ years old ! Most everything is 1890's -1920's .new stuff is garbage I bought my 1920's dinning room set from the org family for $800 my brother bought a brand new set at a junk store for $3800 + his set has been repaired 7-8 times and is falling apart big time ! My set is exactly how it was 90 some years ago! Minus a little wear of stain at the head of the table seat! I could stain it but it why it earned it's battle scars! I just picked up a 1920 -30's desk I org was going to salvage the wood to repair my (liquor cabinet) it's a old cabinet from 1820's -1850's Germany it was used in a church to hold candles or something the storey is wrote down somewhere it's been handed down muti generations and has been in the family since it left the church witch was ran by the family. Yada yada years later grandma dies left it to her grand kid he says I don't want this thing sold it to me for $50 ! He also gave me the letter that was dated late 1800's saying we're the cabinet org from and paper work when it was brought into the states and pictures from way back with it in the background ! Looks like it meant alot to his family now it holds my whiskey and rum! But some damage happened to some wood over the years and I needed old wood to repair it without to much difference this desk was as close as I could find for cheap but now I want to restore the desk and keep looking for wood I'll take some pictures of some of my furniture .

Come on guys might as well start adding pictures of our cool old furniture that's better then everyone else's Ikea junk !

Come on guys might as well start adding pictures of our cool old furniture that's better then everyone else's Ikea junk !

Cool story. Yeah sounds like we’re on the same page for sure. Post some pics!

I just contacted a couple of guys selling logs and another who offers saw mill services... after the table is done my wife and I plan to build a sweet coffee table.

Wifey and I just applied some stain. Went with Early American by Old Masters. Next up, about 1,000 coats fortified water based poly. Chasing the unicorn of child proof!

0A58849B-7B6B-45E9-A117-92BB797EBA2D.jpeg

I like to "French Polish" wood. From 40 grit to 1500. Then buffed with red rouge, a cutting wax. The red offers a little stain & the wax seals the pores as well as enhancing gloss. 3rd photo in low light.

IMG_20160529_152034.jpg IMG_20160621_210948.jpg IMG_20160621_210007.jpg

Last edited:
Wifey and I just applied some stain. Went with Early American by Old Masters. Next up, about 1,000 coats fortified water based poly. Chasing the unicorn of child proof!

View attachment 548444
If that Early American stain is oil base, you have to let it dry for a few days before applying a water based poly. If not, you can have some bubbling or peeling issues down the road.

If that Early American stain is oil base, you have to let it dry for a few days before applying a water based poly. If not, you can have some bubbling or peeling issues down the road.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah the can says 24 hours but the garage being 60*, I was planning on a few days just to be sure.

Just bought an electric planer... DANG where have you been all my life? Cleaned up this slab of Cedar I cut up during hurricane sandy... gonna cut it down into 2 end tables.

Just hit it with the electric plane, the hand plane and then 100 grit. I’m outa time today so I sealed it quick with some poly because it seems to lose its color pretty quick when open to the air.

ADB6A7A2-BFB1-4578-A8E3-6CD20833B110.jpeg

Dang, everything you post is out of this world. That guitar is gorgeous.
Thanks HT! I think what You are doing is superb! I've never built any furniture, have only dabbled in refinishing a handful of wood pieces. The Strat body, alder wood I believe, I did for a friend & got an antique rack mount Tube Driver(tube distortion)in exchange. Popular F/X goodie with Guys like Billy Gibbons, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck.

Dang, everything you post is out of this world. That guitar is gorgeous.
Thanks HT! I think what You are doing is superb! I've never built any furniture, have only dabbled in refinishing a handful of wood pieces. The Strat body, alder wood I believe, I did for a friend & got an antique rack mount Tube Driver(tube distortion)in exchange. Popular F/X goodie with Guys like Billy Gibbons, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck.

Auto Transport Service
Back