• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To hell with showroom floor furniture

Now I’m thinking that the D&D base came from an old Pennsylvania sweat shop - D&D shirt factory in Northampton. And looks like the machine was made late March 1908 and was built for sewing buttons onto shirts and boots. Damn the internet is a crazy place.

https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/eras/children-strike/

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-d-series-serial-numbers.html
Damn the internet indeed, but it is glorious at times. Northampton indeed, lived in Allentown for 2yrs and remember the town pretty well. Also Bath,Pa. where the truck terminal was. Lived in Wescosville, brings back old memories.

Yeah I hope so too. If i have to refinish in a couple years, that’s
ok
Indoors You shouldn't have too much problem. You don't want it exposed to much direct sunlight, close curtains when sun is at angle it washes into house. Job looks Real Nice HT!

The lady that bought my stuff is supposed to send me pictures of it. What was left I took to her shop with price tags for consignment.

Any pictures?

Here's two pieces she sent me a photo of. An odd sit down and collect your garb, put on your shoes and grab your wallet/keys piece....and a coat rack.

received_1542654485841937.jpeg 25440258_1542691209171598_6665446101325904095_o.jpg

Just picked up a slab of black walnut. Coffee table here we come.

28493049-A0FC-4C95-80B6-A4E857B6DDA9.jpeg

Since this thread hit on some wood finishing options--I found this walnut piece and cleaned it up from a rough stump. What I used after sanding was just tung oil.
It took several coats and two days drying time between them.

The guys I bought this slab from said the same thing - tung oil is all they use....

here’s the first coat.

504F21D7-79D9-4BE2-9283-7960F9032E06.jpeg

Second coat and just put the legs on.

62ED8DB9-BE21-4B2B-B08C-405767F86D8E.jpeg

Have it curing in my basement, boy is it tough to keep the little ones off it!

CFF1B56B-4954-4172-A6B0-18FDB7E7B88A.jpeg

Looks great!!! If I remember I'll shoot a picture of a dresser and night stand I'm building for a coworker, it's cherry but he had a crazy idea of making the drawer faces out of Spalted Elm.... we'll see how it goes? The Elm is awesome looking just not sure how they'll look together?

These will be finished in Lacqer so it should wake up the grain a bit.
20171231_071854.jpg

20171231_071901.jpg

I have a small bathroom vanity to build but its not happening till it warms up some. My work shop is out doors and the work bench is the trailer bed. At 12 degrees its not happening.

"Have it curing in my basement, boy is it toughto keep the little ones off it!"

caution_tape_822180598.jpg

Second coat and just put the legs on.

View attachment 554511

Have it curing in my basement, boy is it tough to keep the little ones off it!

View attachment 554512

One of the upsides with tung oil is its hard to mess up a wet coat. --They are not a thick/ sticky goo. --Just wipe with a rag and let time work for you.
Months or years later if more gloss is desired just add another coat.

Auto Transport Service
Back