• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To hell with showroom floor furniture

Sorry for the ditto post, don't know how that happened

Since this thread hit on some wood finishing options--I found this walnut piece and cleaned it up from a rough stump. What I used after sanding was just tung oil.
It took several coats and two days drying time between them.
Being a novice with finishes --I feared messing up with a urethane or some other plastic like stuff. The thought of stripping this thing for a do-over made me proceed with conservative caution.

IMG_0416 (Large).JPG IMG_0417 (Large).JPG

Since this thread hit on some wood finishing options--I found this walnut piece and cleaned it up from a rough stump. What I used after sanding was just tung oil.
It took several coats and two days drying time between them.
Being a novice with finishes --I feared messing up with a urethane or some other plastic like stuff. The thought of stripping this thing for a do-over made me proceed with conservative caution.
View attachment 548515 View attachment 548516

Wow that looks fantastic. Im a complete Creatian when it comes to the finer points of woodworking, never heard of that tung oil. That finish is super deep.

Creative to include that little peg leg, makes the whole thing work.

Thanks HT! I think what You are doing is superb! I've never built any furniture, have only dabbled in refinishing a handful of wood pieces. The Strat body, alder wood I believe, I did for a friend & got an antique rack mount Tube Driver(tube distortion)in exchange. Popular F/X goodie with Guys like Billy Gibbons, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck.
I have guitar buddy who'd COVET that.

HT413, if you want to make light work out of finishing your wood and have a gun go to Sherwin Williams and buy some lacqer clear coat. If it's something that doesn't need a lot of protection and you want to bring out the grain I like Tung Oil.

In these here parts we like to polish our wood with wool lube.

Wow that looks fantastic. Im a complete Creatian when it comes to the finer points of woodworking, never heard of that tung oil. That finish is super deep.

Creative to include that little peg leg, makes the whole thing work.

Tung oil (in my case) soaked into the wood and gave a satin look to start with. Every coat after got richer and gained gloss.

I have guitar buddy who'd COVET that.
The Butler Tube Driver? It's a pre Chandler. They are pretty desirable with certain crowd. Got a lot of oomph,,,a bit noisy, but some definite fuel injection.

Couple of updates. 3rd coat of Minwax’s Polycrylic. Hoping it’s as tough as they say. Probably will put at least 2 more on...

Here are a couple of end tables I whipped up from trees in the yard. Downed by Hurricane Sandy. Been aging in the yard all that time so hopefully no cracking?

Bought the iron legs from a guy on Edsy... hand made in the USA.

FE68713C-ADF0-4587-950E-970B22FEED60.jpeg
5E215A89-235D-4C37-A137-AA6F1AAC4E45.jpeg
98F8BA0B-F8FF-457F-9B62-2BA11B30B040.jpeg

I love doing woodwork. A friend of mine had a walnut tree in his field and wanted it down. I took all the small branches and made a bunch of odd and end stuff. A lady who owns a flower shop bought all of it.

I also made a couple of benches, a coat rack and some other stuff.

I love doing woodwork. A friend of mine had a walnut tree in his field and wanted it down. I took all the small branches and made a bunch of odd and end stuff. A lady who owns a flower shop bought all of it.

I also made a couple of benches, a coat rack and some other stuff.

Any pictures?

Table is done. Used some 2” gas pipe and flanges for legs.

3A2E57B8-7E12-40C9-A1DC-8C3137B8FB78.jpeg
6B8C9699-6EFE-43BC-954A-2B62C33931C6.jpeg
955C08B8-489B-4C16-85C9-7FD66AA442F6.jpeg

Some progress pics. Used some 3M weatherstrip adhesive for the felt feet.

008378AB-D594-4F5C-9DB7-79DC78CDA86C.jpeg
7BE564AF-2CC3-4D4C-8E78-3D100E508D81.jpeg
8300C070-0499-40C9-8883-3ECC19004210.jpeg
ACB5D6C8-597C-49DA-A876-B64783CD406E.jpeg

I do still have a full 8 foot section of the walnut tree I took down. Supposed to be making a custom bar top with one side as a live edge for a customer. Freekin tree was huge.

Hope you have better luck than me with the water base, I found it to be less durable than the polyurethane but like how it doesn't alter color much.

Hope you have better luck than me with the water base, I found it to be less durable than the polyurethane but like how it doesn't alter color much.

Yeah I hope so too. If i have to refinish in a couple years, that’s
ok

Auto Transport Service
Back