• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to understand what kind of 440 I have

KenvLavigne

Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1970 charger RT 440 4 speed. The original 4 bbl engine had been replaced at some point in the past. The new engine is a 440 six pack with an aluminum Elderbrock intake. I’m trying to understand if I truly have a six pack engine or if someone just bolted a six pack on top of a non-six pack 440.
The block casting date it’s June 15, 1971. The engine pad stamp says H440 10–11. No other markings on the pad. Based on what I’ve learned the crank appears to be a forged crank by looking at the damper. So please tell me if my thinking is correct: I have a 1971 440 block which was assembled October 11, 1972. The Pistons appear to be flat with valve notches. Recognizing there are a lot of differences between six pack engines and non-six pack, does the group think I have a six pack engine or not?

IMG_5336.jpeg

IMG_4005.png

Welcome to FBBO. If you discover that your 440 was indeed put together on October 11, 1972....well then happy birthday to your engine :thumbsup:

H 440 is a 1972 440....build date of 10-11-71 for a 72 model year car. Your balancer appears to be a 6 pack balancer for the heavy rods. However clearly engine has been gone through, with unknown internals. Definitely not a true 6 bbl engine.

The Welcome wagon welcomes you!!

H 440 is a 1972 440....build date of 10-11-71 for a 72 model year car. Your balancer appears to be a 6 pack balancer for the heavy rods. However clearly engine has been gone through, with unknown internals. Definitely not a true 6 bbl engine.
Thanks! I was hoping it was a late 1971 6pk build, perhaps with the lower compression. Anyways, its still a beast!! One day I’ll find a reason to open it up and solve more of the mystery. Much appreciated.

Welcome. Show us your car, please. As long as it runs good and makes you smile when you drive it, then it is a good one.

That's a beauty!!

Welcome (2).jpg

So what car(s) do you keep and drive in Florida?

Auto Transport Service
Back