• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to understand what kind of 440 I have

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

nice 70 R/T Charger, enjoy it

IMG_5844.gif

Nice looking Charger, welcome from Alabama.

H 440 is a 1972 440....build date of 10-11-71 for a 72 model year car. Your balancer appears to be a 6 pack balancer for the heavy rods. However clearly engine has been gone through, with unknown internals. Definitely not a true 6 bbl engine.
Appreciate the feedback very much. Your response has had me thinking: why specifically would you say it is not a 6Bbl engine? You said it has been gone through, which I don’t doubt. But just wondering what you are seeing/thinking.

Appreciate the feedback very much. Your response has had me thinking: why specifically would you say it is not a 6Bbl engine? You said it has been gone through, which I don’t doubt. But just wondering what you are seeing/thinking.
The Sixpack pretty much died at the end of the 71 model year....In 72 there were 6 documented V code (440-6) cars I wouldn't expect this engine to be another....

The Sixpack pretty much died at the end of the 71 model year....In 72 there were 6 documented V code (440-6) cars I wouldn't expect this engine to be another....
Ok, I understand. I suppose in my case the builder might have tried to incorporate as much as an original 6 pack might have had. I get obsessed trying to understand the history.
Thanks again.

Sweet 70 Charger R/T! And a 4 speed too! Welcome. 70 Charger R/Ts are my personal favorite Mopars. I have a few of them,the white one is a V code 440 Sixpack car.

20220925_200214.jpg

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

20210925_145203.jpg

20220914_074646.jpg

Great looking ride! Orange with no vinyl like mine. I wish I had three pedals and chrome wheel well openings like yours though.

All the 4 bbl. ‘70-‘72 440’s stamped HP that I’ve seen had that balancer, so the heavy rods as well. This would be original engines that were never apart.

All the 4 bbl. ‘70-‘72 440’s stamped HP that I’ve seen had that balancer, so the heavy rods as well. This would be original engines that were never apart.
And heavier rods didn't mean much because they had the same size/strength rod bolts as the lighter rods. 'Mom' learned from that mistake.....

And heavier rods didn't mean much because they had the same size rod bolts as the lighter rods. 'Mom' learned from that mistake.....
I purchased both of my V code cars in the early 80’s. Reading those DC manuals, I was lead to believe that the rods, balancer, were V code specific. After looking at many U code cars I realized that wasn’t the case.

I purchased both of my V code cars in the early 80’s. Reading those DC manuals, I was lead to believe that the rods, balancer, were V code specific. After looking at many U code cars I realized that wasn’t the case.
Having the big rods was good but not without the better rod bolts.....and even after 'mom' went to the bigger rods, they still had the same or worse warranty problems because of the same strength rod bolts as the LY rods had.

Lovely Mopar Ken in a great colour too!
The 70 Charger is a 'marmite' Mopar without a doubt.
But I am a fan of 'wrap-around' bumpers being a 1971 Gtx owner myself.
Maybe even more 'marmite' than a 70 Charger, is a 70 Coronet!
I have had many Chargers but never found a nice 70 yet.

The 3/8 rod bolt thing is strange fitment for a heavy rod like the SP have.
They made that SP rod for ten years 1970 to 1980.

I have raced many 440's into the tens with carefully lightened SP rods to 7000rpm.
Never had a failure with a 3/8 SRP/ARP rod bolt.
But I have some failures with 7/16 rod bolt hemi engines...

Make of that as you will.

Merry Christmas from a fellow Heavy rod fanatic!

indeed that is a beautiful mopar ! welcome to fbbo from western ny …..

Auto Transport Service
Back