• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upside vs downside of having a girlfriend in the early stages of being 'elderly'!!

there's not a big difference between removable hard top and retractable once your cruising, you just need to know how to get the dang thing off!

Kain't think of any down side except for not getting anything done on the car or anything else in the house, shop or yard! Just glad the grass isn't growing much right now lol. She works part time 2 days a week so that helps a bit for me to recover from the other days!!! :D But by the time I catch up on getting stuff done while she's at work, I'm even more tired.....and she's only 10 months younger than me! WTHeck!? Eh, can't complain as I never thought I'd be in this predicament ever again and we get along very well.

Anyways....anyone else out there finding love in their later years? I know of a couple of members here that have and well, it's a good feeling.
So here we go!! First, congrats on having someone to share some time with! You make a joke, but it's nice to have someone to laugh with. My brother has been married three times and has lived with his, now girlfriend, for 27 years. They spilt things down the middle money wise, for the most part and after all these years she still keeps a condo of her own, up the street from him, they're not married and everyone needs a home base if the whole thing takes a ****. Nothing worse than being old and not having a place to live. They have their own things they do daily sometimes and meet up as the sun does down. They travel a lot and he needs that companionship that your hand will never give you. Respect each other, set some ground rules and enjoy!! One more time, set some ground rules, so you both know how this new thing will work out best. Honesty is the best and it's to late in the game of life not to be honest. .......... I'm glad for you, be safe, Ulli.

So here we go!! First, congrats on having someone to share some time with! You make a joke, but it's nice to have someone to laugh with. My brother has been married three times and has lived with his, now girlfriend, for 27 years. They spilt things down the middle money wise, for the most part and after all these years she still keeps a condo of her own, up the street from him, they're not married and everyone needs a home base if the whole thing takes a ****. Nothing worse than being old and not having a place to live. They have their own things they do daily sometimes and meet up as the sun does down. They travel a lot and he needs that companionship that your hand will never give you. Respect each other, set some ground rules and enjoy!! One more time, set some ground rules, so you both know how this new thing will work out best. Honesty is the best and it's to late in the game of life not to be honest. .......... I'm glad for you, be safe, Ulli.
Well said, Ulli.

So here we go!! First, congrats on having someone to share some time with! You make a joke, but it's nice to have someone to laugh with.
I concur with Ulli. I've been happily married for 46 years, but prior to that, I had an insatiable need for feminine companionship, even in the absence of sex (I was no stud in my early years by a long shot.) If my spouse were to predecease me, I doubt I'd remarry, but I know I'd have another woman in my life. Like having a GTX in the garage, it just seems to be the way I'm wired. I'm not judging anyone who would choose not too, it can sure save a lot of grief. I agree that ground rules are important. I see this becoming an issue with a younger close friend of my wife. Her expectations don't match up with the boyfriend's, and I can see trouble brewing.

Her expectations don't match up with the boyfriend's, and I can see trouble brewing.
Well said and spot on! Ground rules, if you can't make it past that, run. You're to old for a boat anchor for a boat you don't have.

All I can offer is... enjoy your situation for whatever it is, take advantage of the benefits, and just keep a slight wary eye for any underlying red flags.

All I can offer is... enjoy your situation for whatever it is, take advantage of the benefits, and just keep a slight wary eye for any underlying red flags.
The situation I mentioned earlier with my wife's friend underscores this. She would be the ideal girlfriend for most men, she wants no commitment, is financially independent. The boyfriend wants her to marry, move to his neck of the woods, co-mingle finances. She needs to run, but she has a history of making less than perfect life decisions.

I remarried last year after a four year relationship and two years of being alone. The two years told me I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life on my own and I was fortunate enough to met an amazing woman. We both hated being alone and we absolutely love being together. It might not be right for everybody but it was right for us.

IMG_0248.jpeg

Kain't think of any down side except for not getting anything done on the car or anything else in the house, shop or yard! Just glad the grass isn't growing much right now lol. She works part time 2 days a week so that helps a bit for me to recover from the other days!!! :D But by the time I catch up on getting stuff done while she's at work, I'm even more tired.....and she's only 10 months younger than me! WTHeck!? Eh, can't complain as I never thought I'd be in this predicament ever again and we get along very well.

Anyways....anyone else out there finding love in their later years? I know of a couple of members here that have and well, it's a good feeling.
Sounds awesome. Enjoy the time together. Live it up, go out, stay in, whatever, where ever, just have fun. Enjoy and learn each others hobbies or things you enjoy doing.

The wife asked, "If I were to die before you, would you remarry?". After some reflection, her husband answered, "Yes, I likely would, eventually. I think I would be lonely without someone in my life." She asked, " Would you let her share the same bed that we shared?". He answered, "Oh no,Honey. We made so many memories there. I would buy a new bed." His wife continued, " You know how much I enjoyed driving that little car you bought me. Would you let her drive it?" The husband replied, "No, I would sell it, and let her pick out something else." She said, "You know how much I enjoyed playing golf with you each weekend. Would you let your new wife use my golf clubs?". "Heavens,no!", he answered. "She's left handed.".

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your new companion. I miss all the romancing days and flirting I once had. Something to do with getting old and fugly. The horn can leave the toad or the old toad still has a horn. Just me, being an old one isn’t worth a chit anymore and any possible lookers now are old and fugly too. Please don’t mind me, confess I can be a shallow person in some regards, despite all the blessings bestowed on me. I need to be more thankful putting the horn thoughts out of my head, starting with avoiding the blue forum. And the one on older broads? Damn, all of them are too young for me. Live long enough and life isn’t fair. Lol

I remarried last year after a four year relationship and two years of being alone. The two years told me I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life on my own and I was fortunate enough to met an amazing woman. We both hated being alone and we absolutely love being together. It might not be right for everybody but it was right for us.

View attachment 1600353
Congratulations and many happy years together ahead for both of you !

I'm a Senior, have been single since 1991, and have no plans to get involved again. Rosey Palmala and her 5 sisters do visit rarely but other than that. I prefer it that way...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
My X left in June of 2017 and even though I got lonely often, my plan was to stay single....but this new relationship happened while I wasn't even looking. We really enjoy being together and our humor matches to the point that we end up laughing a lot. Sometimes we we'll just look over at each other and crack up :)
Well, we all have our red flags....just have to be able to recognize them and determine how big of a flag they are. She for sure has some yellow ones and so do I and we've been bringing them out into the open and so far so good.
I'm not one for being alone all that much either but was determined to never marry again. That thought is changing though....
Sounds awesome. Enjoy the time together. Live it up, go out, stay in, whatever, where ever, just have fun. Enjoy and learn each others hobbies or things you enjoy doing.
We're doing that all right!! lol
Glad to hear you’re enjoying your new companion. I miss all the romancing days and flirting I once had. Something to do with getting old and fugly. The horn can leave the toad or the old toad still has a horn. Just me, being an old one isn’t worth a chit anymore and any possible lookers now are old and fugly too. Please don’t mind me, confess I can be a shallow person in some regards, despite all the blessings bestowed on me. I need to be more thankful putting the horn thoughts out of my head, starting with avoiding the blue forum. And the one on older broads? Damn, all of them are too young for me. Live long enough and life isn’t fair. Lol
I'm approaching 73 and she's 10 months behind me. I hit 235 some years back and it felt terrible on my smallish frame at 5'-9" but I was 186 last week and been eating a bit too good so back at 190. My goal is 180 or a bit less. She has the opposite problem with being too light at 105 and 5'-2" and have no idea where her energy comes from but I know it isn't drugs lol

The good news is- you have a girlfriend.

The bad news is- you have a girlfriend.

Seriously, that's the way it works.

@Cranky I hear you about laughing a lot. One day long before we got married my wife said "there's times in your life when you have to be serious, the rest of the time you better be laughing". The day we met in person I laughed more in one afternoon than I had in a few years. We've been laughing ever since. Oh, and we also said we wouldn't get married, but we did.

hit 235 some years back and it felt terrible on my smallish frame at 5'-9" but I was 186 last week and been eating a bit too good so back at 190
We’re about the same size Cranky. The holiday eats & treats put my gut and such back up to 190. A lot to be said for those who keep the weight off or who have the gift of a high-HP metabolism. Had one once, then at around 45, oly chit, my V-8 metab went to a slant six.

A guy that I know used that tactic to draw in women. He wasn't that good looking and was overweight but he was a competent handy-man.
Through his travels, he would meet these divorced women with houses that were in need of repairs or remodels.
He married two of them.
(He divorced two of them too)
One skank saw through his charms and manipulated him.
She played the role of the unhappy wife that has a husband that she no longer loves and batted her eyes at the Handy-man.
She tempted him by listening to his stories, laughing at his jokes and saying things like When my girls are out of school, I'm going to leave him.
The Handy-man fell for it, divorced his 3rd wife and moved out. LATER, the three of them bought property together, the Handy-man built TWO houses on it under the impression that HE would eventually move into the bigger house once the girls graduated. He did landscaping, plumbing, paving and all sorts of tractor work to make it a nice place. He figured he would be in the bigger house and it would all be worth it.
No. It didn't work out that way.
The girls did graduate and leave home but the skank is still with her husband AND now feel the house is too big and want to sell and leave.
Payday for the Handy-man though, right? Three way split?
Uhhhh, no.
He trusted the whore and NEVER got his name on the deed of the property!
01 face 34.jpg

Now here he is, 8 years older and not much better off. Yeah, he is getting some money from the sale but far less than 1/3.
She baited him, teased and used him to do most of the work on the property and now is selling and taking most of the money.
The wife and I saw this coming.

Another friend is 68 and has been seeing a woman 10 years older than him.
They seem quite happy. They do ballroom dancing and dinners together. Their needs match despite the age difference. His house is no palace and he has nothing to offer but great companionship. He isn't much of a handy-man but is a great guy nonetheless.

Another friend is 68 and has been seeing a woman 10 years older than him.
They seem quite happy. They do ballroom dancing and dinners together. Their needs match despite the age difference. His house is no palace and he has nothing to offer but great companionship. He isn't much of a handy-man but is a great guy nonetheless.
I've been playing a variation on this theme since last year, with my friend Deb, my fellow crutch user who is 76, six years older than me. She finally met my wife last spring, and they really hit it off. Diane told me I should take her out for dinner whenever I meet her at a show (she is a vendor at most of the Carlisle events). I started last fall, and totally enjoyed it. My wife hates car shows, and is thrilled not to attend with me. Deb loves them, and like me, is also into 50s and 60s nostalgia with both clothes and music.

Early on, we would get many folks inquiring if we were a couple, when we were together at her vendor spot. Initially, she said no, we were just crutch buddies. Now she introduces us as a "car show couple." She explains that she knows my wife, has much in common with her, but acts as her proxy in the car show arena. Deb had confided early on that she has always been drawn to the car show scene because it gave her a social outlet where she didn't get hit on. And I love being able to talk about cars with an attractive older woman who lived through the period. Discussing the disability stuff has been a fringe benefit for both of us (she was a therapist back in the day.) Sure wouldn't have pictured this in my 20s, but we get a good laugh out of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back