• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage Regulators

The Rebel

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, I currently have the blue regulator on my car and was thinking of going back to a stock regulator to be factory correct. I'm no electrician so looking to the experts on this.

A PO had installed this as well as the purple cam but other than that not sure what if any benefit the blue regulator gives me. I do have an unknown distributor with no markings I can find with electrical ignition, so no points. As I have the unknown distributor perhaps it needs to be run with the blue regulator to run the system properly?

I've been told that as I just cruise the streets/highways I'm running the risk of frying my battery or perhaps system. I've had the car for several years now & nothing has happened so wondering what if any benefit going back to the stock will give me.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

thumbnail (2).jpeg

20200614_130820.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-16 070641.jpg

I think the first question should be, what is your current running voltage measured with a meter? If it’s holding voltage between approx 13.8 and 14.5 volts I believe you are OK. Not sure what the significance is of a blue regulator. It may be adjustable but I just don’t know.

Regulator is a fixed voltage style. Not recommended for street use. That distributor is unique with the bearing at the top of the shaft like that. Cant say I have ever seen one. Is there any tags? vacuum can?

That regulator makes the alternator put out a set amount regardless of your battery state of charge. When your battery is fully charged, it just keeps on charging.

It is the "constant output" style. I wouldn't use that style for long drives, but mine seems just fine for the 25 mile street drives I do.

I looked it up. By the description, it appears that it will maintain 13.5V - always. Which is likely a bracket racer consistency move, so that the ignition performance is consistent (predictable). 13.5V constant will not fry your battery. What it might do is not fully charge your battery, especially if you have a bunch of accessories. Typical regulators are charging your battery at about 14.3v.

constantOutput.png

Mine charged at about 14 V. Did not seem to cause any battery issues.

Regulator is a fixed voltage style. Not recommended for street use. That distributor is unique with the bearing at the top of the shaft like that. Cant say I have ever seen one. Is there any tags? vacuum can?
No tags, no vacuum can. There is some writing on the black plastic, from what I can see it says China (shocking). Based on my knowledge of my car it was probably done in the 80's perhaps very early 90's.

So, I ordered a VR from Jaime at Megaparts. Can someone please post pictures of the correct clips that are used to connect the wires. I've seen some black clips on them but want to see what is factory correct.

Thanks in Advance!

Auto Transport Service
Back