• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, I've had enough of this 440 Mystery Motor

Rebuild what I have or replace the engine for possible peace of mind?

• Rebuild it - it'll be fine

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Replace it!

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Only if you're replacing them ......
With really nice looking ones
Kidding, have a ball
If I can find a decent set of aluminum Direct Connection finned ones, I'd be temped.

How many more does he have
:rofl:
I reckon that was it.
I just so happened to stumble on his ad right after it went live and immediately texted him, asking for the video of it running.
Next thing I know, we're on the phone with each other, chatting away like we've known each other for years.
Mopar guys are like that. :)
When he offered it to me right then and there, I quickly pointed out that if he let the auction go full term, he'd surely get more than that.
He'd have none of it, though.
Good dude.
I made a quick call to PP to verify coverage "just in case", then asked for an invoice, which he sent that day. I paid immediately and off we went. :)
He's been in daily contact since, updating me the whole way on the packing and shipping.

You mentioned it was a 73?
Take a peek at the pilot bushing? Does it look thinner than a normal one?
Was/is it new?
I have a "secret stash" of the old thinner ones if you need one.
Lots of threads here how to measure depth too.

Congrats again Ed, I got to run, see ya later.

Was/is it new?
Yeah, I'll have to see.
I might even need one of Ehrenbergs' special ones.

Was/is it new?
Are you the reason the thin one can no longer be found? To think I have been turning the thicker one down to fit.

Are you the reason the thin one can no longer be found? To think I have been turning the thicker one down to fit.
Maybe..........
I picked them up last year at Chryslers @ Carlisle.
Guy had no idea what they were but knew they were for Mopars.
I actually used the Dakota brg in the last 383 before I found them.:(:(

Maybe..........
I picked them up last year at Chryslers @ Carlisle.
Guy had no idea what they were but knew they were for Mopars.
I actually used the Dakota brg in the last 383 before I found them.:(:(
Suppose I should measure a crank before I foget you've got them.

Yeah, I could give up one for a member here.
There's a guy in Minnesota I believe making them too, but I think he gets big $$, 20+??
Als Rapid Transit

Standard OD is .940
These are OD .915
Old NAPA 615-1033- discontinued

Ed the 'Blue' is OK, but not anything like the Molson ***!!!! Good luck guy.n DON'T TOUCH THAT NEW MOTOR!!lol.

Who cares? Run the roller bearing in the torque converter pilot, easy.
Doug

Who cares? Run the roller bearing in the torque converter pilot, easy.
Doug
Yeah, that's what I was referring to as the "Ehrenberg" one - Rick sells those roller ones just for that.

Well gentlemen...it has arrived. Looks to have survived shipping really well. I'm pleased, the seller did a hell of a job packaging it. I see no signs of damage at all, not even a hint that anything was leaking either.
IMG_20170210_151657783.jpg
IMG_20170210_164648641.jpg
IMG_20170210_164624911.jpg
IMG_20170210_164607897.jpg
IMG_20170210_155747463.jpg
IMG_20170210_152442425.jpg

I snatched that thang off the truck and got it on my supposed 1000 lb. capacity engine stand by myself, so that's all she wrote for me for a day or two, whilst having the flu no less.
Whew.
I figure this probably is the last time I'll go through all this, so the heck with caution.

Now, the questions start:
1. Is that a forged crank I see? I see it's been tapped for a 4 speed and has a bronze bushing in it already, but I expected that since his was a 4 speed also.
2. Is that a "correct" balancer for the crank or do I need to swap on the new one I have from Summit (it's their silver "house brand" one for forged cranks).
3. How would a '73 motor wind up with a steel crank, if it is one?
RV engine maybe?
4. Should I start a new thread for this phase of the project?

The damper on there looks like it's for a forged crank. They are about 1" wide. A 73 block could have been re built with a forged crank. I did my 77 that way. And I think the truck motors had forged cranks. Most of the R/V cranks were cast iron, I believe. They weren't built for high RPM, just low end torque. And yes, I would start a new thread for this new motor, so as not to confuse this one with the old mystery motor. Good luck! I'm anxiously waiting for the latest developments!

Auto Transport Service
Back