• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, I've had enough of this 440 Mystery Motor

Rebuild what I have or replace the engine for possible peace of mind?

• Rebuild it - it'll be fine

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Replace it!

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
The damper on there looks like it's for a forged crank. They are about 1" wide. A 73 block could have been re built with a forged crank. I did my 77 that way. And I think the truck motors had forged cranks. Most of the R/V cranks were cast iron, I believe. They weren't built for high RPM, just low end torque. And yes, I would start a new thread for this new motor, so as not to confuse this one with the old mystery motor. Good luck! I'm anxiously waiting for the latest developments!
Thanks, Gary, much appreciated.
Yeah, that's why I was asking - I see the forged balancer on there and am inclined to leave it if that's indeed a forged crank.
I'm also tickled to death if it is. :)
You're probably right, I should start a new thread.

You said it's a running why screw with it?
I don't plan on "screwing" with it - as long as what's there is ok.
Going to install it just as it was in the video I posted of it running.
I got one more shot at this.

It was meant as a put down. Why change anything, that's all.

The damper on there looks like it's for a forged crank. They are about 1" wide. A 73 block could have been re built with a forged crank. I did my 77 that way. And I think the truck motors had forged cranks. Most of the R/V cranks were cast iron, I believe. They weren't built for high RPM, just low end torque. And yes, I would start a new thread for this new motor, so as not to confuse this one with the old mystery motor. Good luck! I'm anxiously waiting for the latest developments!
Keep in mind, If it is an externaly balance cast crank, you will need to use an external balanced flywheel. I got a new one that can be used for either ext. or int. balance from 440 Source..........................MO

My 70 Hemi on the Dyno at Dugan's with my wife (the Boss)

View attachment 392894
That picture belongs pinned to the top of the "Cool Pictures" thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
749956.png

Keep in mind, If it is an externaly balance cast crank, you will need to use an external balanced flywheel. I got a new one that can be used for either ext. or int. balance from 440 Source..........................MO
Yessir, that's why I'm asking.
I am replacing the flywheel, clutch and most likely the 4 speed as well, so I'd like confirmation on the crank type.

Thanks, Gary, much appreciated.
Yeah, that's why I was asking - I see the forged balancer on there and am inclined to leave it if that's indeed a forged crank.
I'm also tickled to death if it is. :)
You're probably right, I should start a new thread.

Have you asked the guy you bought it from? From what I know it's pretty hard to tell the difference by either crank end alone without pulling the pan. Hopefully the balancer is a valid sign.

Have you asked the guy you bought it from? From what I know it's pretty hard to tell the difference by either crank end alone without pulling the pan. Hopefully the balancer is a valid sign.
Well, sure I did. Still am asking. :)
What I'm gathering is he isn't real up on engines and doesn't know much about it; just had a shop rebuild it, then plunked it in that pretty Charger of his.

20170211_115641.jpg

First picture is '62-'71 part #2658457
1001046.jpg

Second picture is '72-'75 part #3614371
1001055.jpg

You have one of the two, probably the second one, but in any case it's the forged crank, (internally balanced) They were both used on the forged crank.

The thing you might want to check is your origanal pully's bolt hole pattern. The earlier dampner had an offset pattern, only bolts on one way. The later dampner, '72 and up, had a symmetrical bolt pattern, (doesn't matter where it bolts).

http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm

Last edited:
View attachment 395177
First picture is '62-'71 part #2658457
View attachment 395178
Second picture is '72-'75 part #3614371
View attachment 395179
You have one of the two, probably the second one, but in any case it's the forged crank, (internally balanced) They were both used on the forged crank.

http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm
Thanks, my friend. Yep, I was perusing that site last night, then had a thought:
Is it possible to install a balancer for a forged crank onto a cast one?
Yeah I know, paranoia - but given all the snakebites I've had to incur these last few years, I almost automatically look for trouble now.

Is it possible to install a balancer for a forged crank onto a cast one?
Yes you can. But in your case it is highly unlikely. The seller had it in the car and it was running. He didn't state that he was having a vibration he couldn't find, did he?

(I edited my last post about the pully differences)

Yes you can. But in your case it is highly unlikely. The seller had it in the car and it was running. He didn't state that he was having a vibration he couldn't find, did he?

(I edited my last post about the pully differences)
You know, now that I think about it, I did have issues with the pulley on the engine now in the car - one bolt wouldn't line up.
Guess I'm about to find out, since I have to re-use it.

You know, now that I think about it, I did have issues with the pulley on the engine now in the car - one bolt wouldn't line up.
Guess I'm about to find out, since I have to re-use it.
If your pully hole does not line up on one hole, you can "egg' that hole out a bit so it does allow putting that bolt in. I had to do that..............MO

Auto Transport Service
Back