• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What combination will fit Ram charger hood

Wietse

Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

This came across the forum quite a lot during search but did not really find a thread where they were using my combination, so therefore I created a new one.

My car, '69 Coronet R/T with 440 4-barrel engine came with the N96 option, only the dual hood scoop is left on the hood and the Ramcharger ducting below the hood is missing.
At the moment the engine has a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with a Holley 4150 4-barrel 750cfm carb on the top.
Most likely this is why someone removed the Ramcharger assembly to get it to fit, but I would like to build that back but I don't want to loose the Holley carb.
I already found that the Performer RPM is too high to use for this (5.30"), so I was wondering someone drives a certain setup with the carburator?
I did see that the older model "Performer" intake is around 1" (4.35") lower but I am not sure if that will give enough clearance.
Maybe there is a intake available with stock size but with improved internals?

Anyone using the 4150 with a Ramcharger hood?

the only two reliable fits using a factory air cleaner are the stock 4bbl carb/intake or a 6pak.

I use the Performer RPM and Edelbrock 1405 on my 383 with a power bulge hood. Factory unsilenced air cleaner fits.

the only two reliable fits using a factory air cleaner are the stock 4bbl carb/intake or a 6pak.

Correct. You have VERY little extra room in there. I did get a Holley to fit on my stock square-bore intake with a "little bit" of grinding so the carb would sit flush. Basically, I had to take about 1/8" off the side of the intake right above the choke/heat cross-over hole & a tiny bit of material from one of the throttle blade pieces, front, outside of carb, passenger side.

383 engine is a bit lower isn't it? So there will be a bit more space to play with.

Going back to the stock carb. and intake will come with a massive power loss I guess compared to now?
I assume the Edelbrock Performer with a height of 4.35" is also higher then the stock intake manifold? (maybe machine another 1/2" off the top flange?)
I was hoping there is a known (performance) manifold with same height as original, guess not.

Yeah, or convert to a 6-pack would be cool as well, although not original but it will be a bit hard to see anyway with that massive air cleaner on top :)

Ebay has them. If I were the OP I would find someone that knows for sure if that combo (Weiand and Holley carb) will fit under a Ramcharger hood with airbox.

Hey all,

This came across the forum quite a lot during search but did not really find a thread where they were using my combination, so therefore I created a new one.

My car, '69 Coronet R/T with 440 4-barrel engine came with the N96 option, only the dual hood scoop is left on the hood and the Ramcharger ducting below the hood is missing.
At the moment the engine has a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with a Holley 4150 4-barrel 750cfm carb on the top.
Most likely this is why someone removed the Ramcharger assembly to get it to fit, but I would like to build that back but I don't want to loose the Holley carb.
I already found that the Performer RPM is too high to use for this (5.30"), so I was wondering someone drives a certain setup with the carburator?
I did see that the older model "Performer" intake is around 1" (4.35") lower but I am not sure if that will give enough clearance.

No but I was planning on it so this thread is of great interest to me, thanks for posting it..

Looking on the web, the Weiland 8009 intake is still manufactured but hard to get by.
Looks like the Backorder is true.

So the only 3 options here:

*Build back to original intake & carb. and take a massive performance loss.
*Hunt down a Weiland 8009 intake, combine with my Holley 4150 carb and hope for the best. (maybe get success with some small modifcations)
*Get a 6-Barrel setup, manifolds and carbs. Be ready to empty the wallet :(

Then again, my 440 has some high performance mods during rebuild (not done by me) so I wonder if I would ever make some decent numbers again when changing to a Weiland intake with this carb.
Looks like the Edelbrock Performance RPM intake is far superior to the Weiland.

Edit: Looks like I am talking myself into a 6-barrel setup here :)

So my Ramcharger Assy. for my 70 Coronet is useless with a 440 w/ Eddy Performer& Holley 4150.

That's great. May as well sell the Ramcharger setup and put the money towards something else. :BangHead:

I think I will take my chances with a Weiland 8009 intake and see how to make it work.
Because getting the full package for a 6 pack, and new Ramcharger ducting with filter assembly will put me down too much, not worth it.
Over time I will come across a Weiland intake I hope, maybe 2nd hand and test it.

Unless someone else has had any luck with a different setup??

Just post a WTB Weiand Action Plus 8009 on FBBO.

You can also sign up for emailed updates when someone has one for sale on Ebay.

I got lucky and found one brand new in the original Weiand box at an auto parts store last summer.

The internet is your friend when it comes to finding these. Just be persistent as they sell fast.

Yeah i will try that, keep my eyes open for one.
They are not that expensive so at least it's worth trying instead of swapping to a 6-barrel setup.
For sure that will put me back at least 3000 euro with all shipping costs etc, which i can find a better way to spend for.
And besides that i can port that Weiland manifold to the max. to get the best flow.

Hey all,

You could use a Holley Street Dominator. It is a low profile single plane intake.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-14/overview/make/dodge

How I understand the single plane intakes are good for high rpm's but start to lack power in low's.
Low rpm is where the torque is and I don't want to lose that, so I prefer a dual plane type intake.

Auto Transport Service
Back