• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you Think - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger?

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
I have an 18 yo nephew that is getting his license tomorrow and wants to buy a car. I tried to convince him to buy a Honda or Toyota for his first car given his budget, inexperience and lack of knowledge about such things. I knew I was just pissing in the wind - his eyes went immediately to the sportier American cars named above. So he has his heart set on one of them (he likes the mustang). These are 2014 - 2016 vintage cars. I know nothing about these cars as I have the GTX and have bought Lexus for many years as daily drivers. I’m looking for some advice as to which one or two to focus on before we go off looking all over the place. His budget is about $12-14k. I want the kid to be safe and get the most reliable one of these as possible. I know some of you may condsider me a heretic for not directing him toward the challenger but some of you must have experienced contrasting opinions.

What say you?

I have an 18 yo nephew that is getting his license tomorrow and wants to buy a car. I tried to convince him to buy a Honda or Toyota for his first car given his budget, inexperience and lack of knowledge about such things. I knew I was just pissing in the wind - his eyes went immediately to the sportier American cars named above. So he has his heart set on one of them (he likes the mustang). These are 2014 - 2016 vintage cars. I know nothing about these cars as I have the GTX and have bought Lexus for many years as daily drivers. I’m looking for some advice as to which one or two to focus on before we go off looking all over the place. His budget is about $12-14k. I want the kid to be safe and get the most reliable one of these as possible. I know some of you may condsider me a heretic for not directing him toward the challenger but some of you must have experienced contrasting opinions.

What say you?
Heretic :)

pitch.png

Can you get a challenger for 12-14k? If so do it as long as it’s not the piece of **** garbage 2.7 motor.

Newer mustangs with any power are squirrely..maybe not the best for an inexperienced driver. Really at that age, any rear-wheel drive with a good v8 is asking for trouble ( Heck they're trouble at my age LOL!) May not be what he wants to hear but best to stick with a v6..challenger or camaro would be my pick, if he is set on the retro rides. Consider the insurance rates for a kid in a performance car too..yikes

My son signed with an MLB team when he was 17. He had a license, very little experience and now he had money! In the end I pushed him into the 4 cylinder Mustang. Damn thing was still over 300hp! But he drove that for a couple years gained some experience and confidence, ungraded to GT V8 stick car (435hp). Now is driving and Grand Cherokee SRT! So far... no problems.

For a new driver, I would advise against the Camaro and the Challenger. The visibility is not good on the Challenger and even worse on the Camaro. I have a 2015 Challenger and even with the Blind Spot monitoring, sensors and backup camera, it is not as easy to see out of as it is with other cars. The Challenger is a great road car, fast and safe but I think the inexperience of a younger driver necessitates a car with better visibility.
Maybe he has great skills and instincts....Maybe not yet. The Mustang? I'm not familiar with the visibility but didn't they have those windows in the C pillars? If so, that certainly would help. The Challenger sometimes feels like I am driving a van. The Wife loves our car and does fine. I drive a 2007 Ram truck so visibility is almost as good as in a convertible!

IMG_0792.PNG

Probably plenty of older Challengers with low miles for a good price. My 09 Pistol grip has 13k and would probably go 18-20. I hesitate to recommend anything to 18 year old. Depends on the individual. When driving this car, I often hear a buzz and a crazed Stang goes by. Shoe box imports get less attention and challenge. Unless he's a car guy...

Look for a 1998-2002 ls1 firebird trans am or camaro there fast fun safe they handle great and his budget will get a super nice one with low miles I see a few around here for 14000 with only 20,000-24000 miles on them
Also the ls1 is an amazing motor there about built proof and parts are plentiful and cheap lots of bolt ons .... that would be my pick as his budget with one of the above cars won't get much and a ton of miles

View attachment 561427
Probably plenty of older Challengers with low miles for a good price. My 09 Pistol grip has 13k and would probably go 18-20. I hesitate to recommend anything to 18 year old. Depends on the individual. When driving this car, I often hear a buzz and a crazed Stang goes by. Shoe box imports get less attention and challenge. Unless he's a car guy...

He’s only a car guy when it comes to getting something cool and sporty. We’ll see how he does with all the other $$$ factors. I knew he wouldn’t want the shoebox but I’m thinking only of his safety. Eighteen - geez I’m afraid to put him in anything besides a soap box car and let him practice for a couple 5 - 10 years......

Mistsubishi made it in the 80s...Turbo 4 cylinder, great handling...

Mistsubishi made it in the 80s...Turbo 4 cylinder, great handling...
Getting this kid in anything older than 5 years old will be a stretch.

BTW - your info was good stuff on the visibility on these cars. Even the kid picked up on that with his online research. I think you’re dead on with your observations. He should get the one with the best visibility. That may be the mustang. We’ll be looking at all three and I’ll try to guide him the best I can. I worry because he’s soooo young and hasn’t had that much driving experience -very little because his dad is also new to it -they’re immigrants from Vietnam and haven’t driven cars - motor scooters - but not cars. His VN Uncle got killed in a car accident there a number of years ago. I look at these kids as surrogate kids - my wife’s relatives. So I do
Worry. Thx for the good info!

Whats his car insurance budget?

Whats wrong with a rear wheel drive car with 375 hp? Thats what i started with and drove it rain or shine and in the snow too with 60 series tires on the back and 4 wheel drum brakes...

Let the kid be a kid like we got to be....

Whats his car insurance budget?

Whats wrong with a rear wheel drive car with 375 hp? Thats what i started with and drove it rain or shine and in the snow too with 60 series tires on the back and 4 wheel drum brakes...

Let the kid be a kid like we got to be....
I get your point - I did the same as an 18 year old but read post #16 and maybe you’ll understand a little better. They’re new to this country and didn’t grow up like we did.

I get your point - I did the same as an 18 year old but read post #16 and maybe you’ll understand a little better. They’re new to this country and didn’t grow up like we did.
Buy and teach him to drive in a 1500 beater off craigslist for a while. He will get a few dings and scratches at the very least starting out. Airbags and antilock brakes will help the learning curve..

Auto Transport Service
Back