• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you Think - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger?

Why not a short bed Dodge truck in his price range, cheaper on insurance, easy to see out of & safer than a lower type car, I put my daughter in my o4 Dodge Truck and she loved it !

here's one for 15K
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/2013-dodge-ram-1500-express/6455092326.html

00v0v_jDjzuT3c1F6_1200x900.jpg

Shoot, man...I'd buy that one! I'm at 300,000 miles on my 2007 Ram 1500 !

I have an 18 yo nephew that is getting his license tomorrow and wants to buy a car. I tried to convince him to buy a Honda or Toyota for his first car given his budget, inexperience and lack of knowledge about such things. I knew I was just pissing in the wind - his eyes went immediately to the sportier American cars named above. So he has his heart set on one of them (he likes the mustang). These are 2014 - 2016 vintage cars. I know nothing about these cars as I have the GTX and have bought Lexus for many years as daily drivers. I’m looking for some advice as to which one or two to focus on before we go off looking all over the place. His budget is about $12-14k. I want the kid to be safe and get the most reliable one of these as possible. I know some of you may condsider me a heretic for not directing him toward the challenger but some of you must have experienced contrasting opinions.

What say you?
I say part of that money would be well spent on a driving school like Jim Russell, Bob Bondurant, so He's better prepared to avoid & recover from panic situations.

I say part of that money would be well spent on a driving school like Jim Russell, Bob Bondurant, so He's better prepared to avoid & recover from panic situations.
I agree with you bro! I’m doing the best I can with elements of not understanding, $$$ issues, and a very stubborn kid that gets what he wants - generally. I worry for him!!

Just a suggestion, take him to the Hyundai dealer and set him down in a Sonata. My son drives one and it's a great car and very reliable too. Sporty looking as well.

untitled.png

It's all about the kid. If he has been responsible in other things, he will likely be responsible driving but he is a kid just learning. Of course he wants a cool looking car, I did too and if you believe he can handle it that's great but you know him and if you don't believe a rwd higher horsepower car is a good idea, trust your gut and say no. He may not like it but his safety is more important. Whatever you decide, I always told my kids that they had to pay their own insurance, if he checks out the cost, it may give him cause to consider other not so cool options. That said, how about a 73 Gremlin? LOL

It's all about the kid. If he has been responsible in other things, he will likely be responsible driving but he is a kid just learning. Of course he wants a cool looking car, I did too and if you believe he can handle it that's great but you know him and if you don't believe a rwd higher horsepower car is a good idea, trust your gut and say no. He may not like it but his safety is more important. Whatever you decide, I always told my kids that they had to pay their own insurance, if he checks out the cost, it may give him cause to consider other not so cool options. That said, how about a 73 Gremlin? LOL
His first car should be old and junkie, find him an old dodge dart or other kind of cheap A-body and teach him our ways

Now that we know the back story get him a honda civic to play bumper cars in if he can drive it with no issues in a set time frame he gets an above mentioned car!
The Hyundai is a great car I just bought one as a gas saver daily driver I was out the door under $15000 for a 2014 with 50000 miles and it's loaded with everything even heated and a/c seats nav blind spot I wanted a 300 but you can't argue the price for what I got versus a stripper 300 with high miles .
He might like the Hyundai valoster it's a little sports car wit good visibility and will run forever and parts are cheap

If he insist on a rear drive modern sports car I would suggest he test out the Hyundai Genesis. Preferably the 4 cylinder turbo as they are much more tunable than the V6. As others have pointed out insurance for an 18yr old male is outrageous. My insurance has gone up 300/mnth just for liability since I added my son. Its f-in ridiculous paying $4k a year in insurance on a car I bought for 2k. Not sure where the actuaries get their data (maybe 1969)because 9/10 wrecks I drive by its a women sobbing next to her trashed car not a young man.

Funny, unless he was paying, he wouldn't get a choice! Get him a truck, it'll be safer for him.

Both of my kids got a beater for their first car. Why take a chance on an 18 year old with no experience, driving anything worth too much money and wrecking it beyond repair. They would be out all of that money.

My son got a 1985 charger, $400, put another $200 into it to get it on the road. 8 months later he totaled it.

Daughter got a K car for $300, $200 to get it on the road. 6 months later smacked the right front, took out the strut also. Repaired it for $200. She made it last for about a year before trading it in.

Now just think if they both had spent $10 - $12k on each car...

Both of my kids got a beater for their first car. Why take a chance on an 18 year old with no experience, driving anything worth too much money and wrecking it beyond repair. They would be out all of that money.

My son got a 1985 charger, $400, put another $200 into it to get it on the road. 8 months later he totaled it.

Daughter got a K car for $300, $200 to get it on the road. 6 months later smacked the right front, took out the strut also. Repaired it for $200. She made it last for about a year before trading it in.

It's so hard for me to be on board with a kid getting an expensive 1st car......my first car was a 1960 Studebaker Lark 2 door wagon,(100 bux). 2nd car was a 1960 bug chopped into one of the 1st Baja's(400 bucks). 36 horse/split case transaxle.
The Baja ended up getting a Buick 215 aluminum V8 hung off a built up, tunnel type transaxle. That was done on far less than 2 grand. Yeah, it was a fast ******.

Challenger SXT or SXT Plus with the 3.6. Just over 300hp. Has the acceleration of stock muscle cars of old and is great on gas. Carmax has 2012s for around $17k, so they're probably available for under $15k from other sources. I have a '15 Scat Pack and a '15 SXT Plus and I get much more use out of the V6.

Yep, my father was a you want it, you pay for it kind of man once I was old enough to work. My first car was a 70 Falcon (Torino) with a 6 banger. Paid $50 bucks for it and pop rivited sheet aluminum over the fenders, ugliest thing you ever saw. Took less than a year before I wrecked it, then it was a galaxy 500, wrecked it too. After that I bought a 73 Challenger with a 318 3 speed. Saved some cash, rebuilt a 340 and planted it in front of a 4 speed....and the love affair with Mopars began! Kept it until I traded it for a 68 roadrunner and you get the picture. Point is that probably most first cars get wrecked and once I got some experience and had some real money and time invested in it, I was a lot more careful. Haven't had a accident that was my fault since the galaxy.

Point him towards a B6-B7 Audi S4, they are naturally aspirated, V8, AWD and 6 speed. Decent ones can be found for his price range.

Auto Transport Service
Back