• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

'Blade'- go to mapsairmuseum.org... They have a B-26 also, not flying.From Canada, I think.

This is Kermit Week's(Fantasy of Flight) Martin B-26 Marauder(Widowmaker). @ Chino airport in 95, when Aero Trader was doing partial restore & making airworthy. Weeks bought the Bird from David Tallichet @ Chino. An A model with short wing. This airplane was actually pieced together from three airplanes, parts were back packed out of Yukon. A squadron that got lost & ran out of fuel. The snow & cold served to preserve the wrecks. This is the ONLY airworthy example of this Hot Rod to date. These airplanes in capable hands could turn as tight as single engine fighters & capable pilots scored BF 109 & FW 190 kills with them. The Widowmaker has the highest return rate of any combat a/c in WWll. Landing speed 135 mph. An airplane intolerant of complacency, but capable of turning in the performance numbers. My Old Man was a Martin test pilot.

View attachment 401872 View attachment 401873 View attachment 401874 View attachment 401875
That would be a great experience to fly in. Although the Fantasy of Flight does list the B-26 as flyable, it hasn't actually lifted off the ground since 2004, which is a shame.

That would be a great experience to fly in. Although the Fantasy of Flight does list the B-26 as flyable, it hasn't actually lifted off the ground since 2004, which is a shame.
They're prob'ly afraid of it. They,re a Big handful of aircraft....limited control surface area, swinging those 14 foot +, non counter rotating Curtiss Electrics......only for the Very experienced who don't rattle when **** starts to come unwound......like losing the right engine on take off.....in a word....Sayonara!

A glass topped desk/conference table made from an inboard flap section of a Lockheed C-130. I worked on this when I did a brief stint w/ Moto Art in 2006.

C-130-Inner-Flap-1.jpg

I've had some rough landings before, but that one seemed like it was horrendous. I liked how the pilot laughed when it was over. He must have had total confidence in his skill!

I took my instrument check ride on a day with high winds and gusts. The FAA check pilot didn't even want to go up in the plane for the ride. He asked me if I was going to kill him or if I had enough skill to bring him back alive. I nailed it flawlessly and he was impressed. He kept his hand on the yoke the whole time though, thinking he may have to take over the plane to save his life.

When I returned to home base after getting the sign-off, the aeroclub manager chewed out my instructor for not rescheduling and then proceeded to give me a pep talk - that no pilot could ever expect to pass a check ride on a windy day like that. We had to tell him about 4 times that I passed before he heard us. Fun memories!

Auto Transport Service
Back