• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

01 Ram multifunction switch question

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
So, I've replaced this switch before (when I bought the truck, around 190k miles; it now has 280k). When I got it, it wouldn't activate the high beams, or it wouldn't cancel the signals, or something that kept it from passing inspection. I honestly can't remember what the failure was. Regardless...it has failed again. Now, it will turn ON the high beams...but won't turn them OFF. I finally got them to turn off last night on the way home from a gig, by toggling it overandoverandoverandoverandoveragain, for about three minutes. Fortunately it happened after loading my gear, and not on the road blinding people (I have HID low beams and 100w LED high beams in 4-bulb Sport headlights - I can cook deer where they stand). Internal failure, I have no problem with that...but I'm finding all sorts of brands out there (I don't think OEM makes them anymore). Is Dorman the best bet these days? Or are they ALL Chinesium junk and I should just buy three to keep a couple around the house? Or put the lights on a toggle switch?

Sorry.

Little grumpy today. Tired. Day job yesterday, gig last night, home at 12M. Up at 5 for day job today. Work till 3, go straight to another gig tonight, will get home around 1A. Oof.

Anyway - if anyone has any recommendations for brands to get (or stay away from) for a switch...post 'er up, thanks!

The headlight switch powers a relay, which powers the headlight bulb. The box under the hood has relays that work about everything from fan control to headlights. A failing headlight switch is uncommon.

I'll try thumping on relays in the PDC, but as I said I've had a switch failure prior on this truck. Also my headlights have their own relay setup since I did the sport headlight mod (from 2 bulbs to four) - I use the factory harness plug to a splitter harness, that feeds 2 new relays, and power goes from those two to my HID lows and my LED highs. I guess I could still have an issue with the relay that powers the factory harness though. We'll see. Like I said, brights turn ON fine...they just don't go OFF.

On one my 2004 rams I put led lights bulbs on it. After a few hours I was getting messages that I had a bulb out and after that it fried the wires at the headlights. The problem was it was picking up a drop in power due to led using less. This was many, many years ago, but back then LED bulbs played hell on the trucks electrical system. Swap relays from one to the other in the box to test it.

Auto Transport Service
Back