• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100 amp single wire install

1badgtx

Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
I,m getting rid of my stock alternator setup..I need more amps to run all my electrical stuff...It seems pretty easy to install...According to the forums i,ll need to run a heavier guage wire from my alternator to my starter...Then just get rid of my ammeter guage all toghther because it will not handle the extra juice...Anyone running the same setup?Any help would be apreciated...

I,d rather push my PLYMOUTH than drive a ford..
Petty Blue 67 gTX:book1::book1:

Good luck with that, generally speaking whats the process of upgrading your alternator? Is it the same as a regular swap or are there any new wires involved?

Going to a 100 amp tuff stuff catch me if you can chrome...I,ll have to bypass my stock ammeter,upgrade the wire to the starter with a better fusable link...

Run a 8 or 10 gauge to the starter relay and delete the ammeter. Solder the ammeter wires together. Delete the wire from ign post on the switch to the regulator delete the regulator and run a wire from ign post on switch to the ballast or msd box if using one. Someone correct me if i,m wrong but this is what i,m doing to mine this week. Heres a very good link on this.http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges2.shtml DD

One-wire alts are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, as some people think.

i just put a gm 1 wire heavy duty alternator on my 440 it was easy i didnt have to eliminate my gauge at all. basically i did have to alter my backets so if you dont have a welder dont bother. i did eliminate the voltage regulator of course because the gm ones are self regulated all in all my wiring goes from my alternator through the gauge to the starter which in turn runs it to the battery the whole processes only too an hour but i had the motor out because i was rebuilding it at the time. the reason you have to modify the backets is because the old mopar alt has its cooling fan on the inside of the case and the gm one is on the outside and will rub if you dont lower the mounting hole for the swing arm portion of the brackets

I've read the previous posts and still am a little confused. Can I upgrade my current "stock" alternator and voltage regulator to a "one" wire alternator without by passing the ammeter? If so, how? Many thanks for your help....

I've read the previous posts and still am a little confused. Can I upgrade my current "stock" alternator and voltage regulator to a "one" wire alternator without by passing the ammeter? If so, how? Many thanks for your help....

One wire alternators have internal voltage regulators.
go hit the welcome wagon 1st.:munky2:

Yes you can upgrade you stock alternator to a one wire set up...I,m going to a 100 amp to keep up with stereo,electric fans,high output headlights..
Petty Blue 67 GTX

You,d be risking overloading the amp gauge and turning your car to toast. Ditch the amp gauge and install a volt gauge.

Run a 8 or 10 gauge to the starter relay and delete the ammeter. Solder the ammeter wires together. Delete the wire from ign post on the switch to the regulator. delete the regulator and run a wire from ign post on switch to the ballast or msd box if using one. Someone correct me if i,m wrong but this is what i,m doing to mine this week. Heres a very good link on this.http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges2.shtml DD
I finished this up on my 66 and it works great.

I mounted the alternator on the power steering ears of the water pump.Mine was done YEARS before a mopar one wire was available.

Attachments

• 111-1142_IMG.jpg
    111-1142_IMG.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Assembly20.jpg
    Assembly20.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 284
  • Assembly21.jpg
    Assembly21.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 265
Auto Transport Service
Back