• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000+ horsepower rear for a b body

lxmodguy

Gen3 Hemi Guru
Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
Suggestions for holding 1000 rear wheel horsepower in a 64 B body??

I am strong considering back halfing the car and running a beefed up SRT8 rear sub-frame and suspension. We have them holding 1200+ wheel horsepower.

Thoughts, suggestions?

4 link with a Dana 60, by far your best bet.

Almost forgot......Rockwell!!!!LOL!!

Dana:grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 503
Suggestions for holding 1000 rear wheel horsepower in a 64 B body??

I am strong considering back halfing the car and running a beefed up SRT8 rear sub-frame and suspension. We have them holding 1200+ wheel horsepower.

Thoughts, suggestions?

You have the factory srt rear diff and axles with no torque management at all

X2 on the dana 60, all the fab work to make a srt8 rear fit, would be cool but you can buy a built proof 60 from strange for $1800, any gear ratio, but would upgrade to a detroit locker for a posi, I know we use sure grip as the term.

Just having fun here, but have you thought of the dana 27???

You have the factory srt rear diff and axles with no torque management at all

no, that is a 300M half shaft setup, ford 8.8 center section (or floating dana 60 in some cases) and billet axle stubs and hubs. $5000 setup roughly, but almost impossible to break

no, that is a 300M half shaft setup, ford 8.8 center section (or floating dana 60 in some cases) and billet axle stubs and hubs. $5000 setup roughly, but almost impossible to break

I was gonna say i haven't seen the srt IS stuff live without torque management.

I would use the set up from a viper if you want to keep IS, the factory d44a and its half shafts can deal with that

If you don't want the IS then use the D-60

Dana 60, spool, sfi axles, cal-tracs, split monos w/sliders, 6 point bar w/frame connectors or full cage. Minitub if you need a bigger tire on it. Anything else is just spending unnecessary dollars.

i would say it depends a ton on what the car is used for.street,all out race,a bit of both,and if race,drag or something else?

interesting you're asking about the rear end set up... if you know the lx platform, you know it's not a big deal to get a 1000 hp 8.8 with 1000 hp half shafts and as said here, the dana 60 is bullet proof if you want a solid setup as opposed to IRS. Only diff for me is, i'd use a Moser D60 w/trutrac, not Strange.. just my opinion... Good luck

There is a company that makes a D60 housing for the lx irs, get the related stuff to go with it and it's bomb proof!!

I would use a strange 60 with its upgrades over a moser ..

Dynatrac makes the IS D-60 with axles for the new fixed hemi cars

interesting you're asking about the rear end set up... if you know the lx platform, you know it's not a big deal to get a 1000 hp 8.8 with 1000 hp half shafts and as said here, the dana 60 is bullet proof if you want a solid setup as opposed to IRS. Only diff for me is, i'd use a Moser D60 w/trutrac, not Strange.. just my opinion... Good luck

Considering I was the one that said that....I'm pretty sure I knew about it :)

Just not sure I want to back half the car to accomplish that.

I'd say the only reason to go IRS would be if you are planning to run the twistys or road race track time. if you plan to run straight down the strip or see street duty just go D60 solid axle. The cost of investment to run the IRS is huge unless you are feeling rich in which case just go for the cool factor. Anything is doable with an unlimited budget but I got a feeling if you are building a 1000+ hp late model hemi and transplanting that into a car you are restoring feeling rich might be out the window.

I'd say the only reason to go IRS would be if you are planning to run the twistys or road race track time. if you plan to run straight down the strip or see street duty just go D60 solid axle. The cost of investment to run the IRS is huge unless you are feeling rich in which case just go for the cool factor. Anything is doable with an unlimited budget but I got a feeling if you are building a 1000+ hp late model hemi and transplanting that into a car you are restoring feeling rich might be out the window.

Actually, the main reason I am thinking IRS is traction. We have cars running high 9's on 325 drag radials. That and there is very little setup to hook. As long as its in straight, has no body flex, it is going to hoon

Actually, the main reason I am thinking IRS is traction. We have cars running high 9's on 325 drag radials. That and there is very little setup to hook. As long as its in straight, has no body flex, it is going to hoon

Sounds like you already know what you'd like to do then...I say show me some pics of the process :grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back