• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

11" rear backing plates..tapered axle

rustytoolss

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Can 1968 11" B/C body rear backing plates be installed on to a 1962 tapered axle ? ... Can it be done? Just asking.

Last edited:
I would guess yes at least so of the 11 inch stuff
, as I recall my 64 426S car came with 11 inch drums
as my elder memory seems to recall from 1964.

If it is not a restoration car = I always replace the tapered axle
with the 1965 Style rear end stuff.

I myself have never noticed and difference in stopping power between
the 10 and 11 inch back drums at all.

Depends on which tapered rear end. I can tell you for certain that a 1960-62 Chrysler has even spacing on the 5 studs so a newer backing plate won't slide over those studs.

Then you must have the correct offset on the plate so the shoes line up with the drums.

I've heard the 63/64 has the same bolt pattern as newer, but I don't know that for sure. Look it over and see.

Last edited:
Depends on which tapered rear end. I can tell you for certain that a 1960-62 Chrysler has even spacing on the 5 studs so a newer backing plate won't slide over those studs.

Then you must have the correct offset on the plate so the shoes line up with the drums.

I've heard the 63/64 has the same bolt pattern as newer, but I don't know that for sure. Look it over and see.
You are talking about the 5 studs that mount the backing plate to the axle..correct ?

The tapered axle backing plates have the outer axle seal installed in them, and a smaller hole so the plate pushes on the wheel bearing cup, with shims for adjustment. The later plates won't work without modification of some sort. There could also be other issues.

The tapered axle backing plates have the outer axle seal installed in them, and a smaller hole so the plate pushes on the wheel bearing cup, with shims for adjustment. The later plates won't work without modification of some sort. There could also be other issues.
Thanks for that, good to know.

Can 1968 11" B/C body rear backing plates be installed on to a 1962 tapered axle ? ... Can it be done? Just asking.
Just put that whole rear under the car. My 64 has a 68 B-body rear under after I got tired of swapping pumpkins dealing with the tapered axle BS.

Just put that whole rear under the car. My 64 has a 68 B-body rear under after I got tired of swapping pumpkins dealing with the tapered axle BS.
I get it. And if I were racing, changing pumpkins as a regular things, would think about that more. But my ride is a stock driver. I may have the chance to get free parts from a 1968 C body, and thought the rear brakes may interchange. And at this point, I've got so many other things that need attention on the car (paint/body) spending money on an axle change is not going to happen.Sure I would like a rear axle with the better parts..but that will have to wait.

I would guess yes at least so of the 11 inch stuff
, as I recall my 64 426S car came with 11 inch drums
as my elder memory seems to recall from 1964.

If it is not a restoration car = I always replace the tapered axle
with the 1965 Style rear end stuff.

I myself have never noticed and difference in stopping power between
the 10 and 11 inch back drums at all.
You are probbaly right about size difference in the rear. Maybe I should just install the larger front factory rotors. Would get more stopping power from those.

I get it. And if I were racing, changing pumpkins as a regular things, would think about that more. But my ride is a stock driver. I may have the chance to get free parts from a 1968 C body, and thought the rear brakes may interchange. And at this point, I've got so many other things that need attention on the car (paint/body) spending money on an axle change is not going to happen.Sure I would like a rear axle with the better parts..but that will have to wait.
Honestly if it's just a stock driver the original brakes should be fine or leave the rear ones alone and do a disc brake swap on the front... Grab the whole rear drum to drum since it's free and deal with the rear later as there are good parts there.

Auto Transport Service
Back