• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14,000 mile 1974 D-350 Brush Truck at auction in Sundance Wy. not mine

sam dupont

Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 8.07.16 AM.png

Cool.

Life is pretty relaxed in Sundance and a guy might talk the County shop into giving him time to come get it. It's also very dry in that part of the country, even if the truck sat outside.

Last edited:
My late last favorite junk yard had a similar one they used to pump out the standing water in the low lying areas of the yard so people didn't have to negotiate ankle deep water to work on some of the cars they had.

This auctioneer only gives 48 hour notice of a sale. He thinks it inspires impulse bidding. With a little time, I might've had an excuse to go up that direction and see if that's dirt on the rockers, or if it's rust holes. Digital film is so expensive, he doesn't dare take more than a few photos.

Rocker panel is one of the few body parts for those trucks that is actually reproduced.

Judging from the color of the ground, I'd say it's dirt.

...but also the center seems like there's a lot of room between there and the door.

I have an old HS friend that lives very close to that. Might just see if she can truck-sit for a bit and then bid on that. Nice rig! Up to $1,600 and change now.

What engine is in it? I had a ‘79 Club Cab Power Wagon, and it was underpowered with the 360 in it.

W = 4 Wheel Drive / Conventional Cab
3 = 300 Series 1 Ton
1 = Conv Cab & Chassis
B = 6,001# to 10,000# GVW
F = 360 2bbl V8
4 = 1974
S = Warren Truck #1
Last 6 Digits: Assembly Plant sequence numbers

Feel free to correct if you find something wrong

A friend of mine had a 77 318 club cab 4x4 that was certainly NOT under powered.

In fact that truck NEVER got stuck at any mud hole, even with 4-5 passengers.

That truck got traded for a 69 Hemi RR convertible, which that friend promptly sold for $10,000, and bought a 2 year old f-150 4x4 with part of the proceeds.

That f-150 got stuck nearly every time it went out to "four wheel" and the engine eventually blew up after a couple years.

This auctioneer only gives 48 hour notice of a sale. He thinks it inspires impulse bidding. With a little time, I might've had an excuse to go up that direction and see if that's dirt on the rockers, or if it's rust holes. Digital film is so expensive, he doesn't dare take more than a few photos.
must be a very busy man ,only time fora few pics ….

Too bad it's so far away.......
Here in the NE that truck is worth at least $7500. Actually the Fire apparatus is a bit of an albatross, unless you're after a parade truck. It is however what saved it.

What engine is in it? I had a ‘79 Club Cab Power Wagon, and it was underpowered with the 360 in it.
Had a 360 in a 79 D150 swb and man, that thing had plenty of power. Was the PW 360 totally stock?

must be a very busy man ,only time fora few pics ….
I used to say: to be successful, you have to either be smart or work hard, then I met this man. I don't say that anymore.

I used to say: to be successful, you have to either be smart or work hard, then I met this man. I don't say that anymore.

The third is lucky, and you need at least two of the three.

Smart
Hard work
Lucky.

All three help, but any 2 of the 3 can get it done.

Had a 360 in a 79 D150 swb and man, that thing had plenty of power. Was the PW 360 totally stock?
Yeah. It still had the 2bbl. and the factory exhaust with the cat. The air pump was removed and the EGR. Could have been the mileage, it had 130k. I did put a double roller timing chain and an RV cam in it. Just too much weight for the small block.

Yeah. It still had the 2bbl. and the factory exhaust with the cat. The air pump was removed and the EGR. Could have been the mileage, it had 130k. I did put a double roller timing chain and an RV cam in it. Just too much weight for the small block.
If it still had the original cat, it could have been plugged up. Saw a lot of that in the early days of cat converters. The 360 in mine was still stock except for an aluminum intake with a 650DP and headers....no cats. Running mid 15's at the track wasn't too shabby for a pickup with 3.23 gears back then. Mine was 2wd but I'm figuring even if it were a 4wd, the engine was capable of pushing it around fairly decently. A buddy had a 85 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed with a teen and it ran pretty good I thought. Don't know what gears were in it but he used it back and forth to work everyday and it didn't seem to be running high rpm at highway speeds.

The absolute worst vehicle I have ever driven MPG wise was my 76 W200. It had a 400 BB 4 barrel and routinely got 8 mpg. It was horrible on gas (full time 4wd- remember them?)
It was also the best 4wd system I have ever driven. I used it to make extra cash plowing driveways after work. It had enough power to get itself in trouble, it just kept pushing. One night I ran it off a driveway down into a culvert ditch - stuck! I managed to get the plow off and it backed itself out once the plow was off. I hooked a tow chain to the plow and drug it out to the road, hooked it back up and continued on. I am still amazed at how it did that, it would go past anything in a storm except a gas station.

Auto Transport Service
Back