• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Dart seatbelts

nutz4spd

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing seatbelts in my '62 Dart that didn't come with any. I was told that all cars had the threaded nut in the floorboard to attach them to, but when I checked under the car there are no holes. Only the bolts from the seats. Is it a good idea to drill a hole and use a bolt, washer, and nut to secure the seatbelts?

If it has provisions for seat belts, typical Chrysler locations are at the sides of the driveshaft tunnel and inner rockers.
You'll have to pull the step plates & carpet to find them, though a good look at the sides of the driveshaft tunnel is quicker.
If you have to drill, locate the locations carefully and use large washers; typically about 2" outside diameter.
Drill close to the rear of the front seat so the anchors aren't trip hazards getting in/out of rear seat.

Right. Chrysler welded in reinforcement plates along with the welded in nuts on the floor.
I looked thru old photos of my 63-64-65 cars and didn't find any that showed the floor mounts.
Sorry.I will tell you my 64 Belvedere 4 door sedan did have all the mounts and actually had rubber plugs in the nut locations.
When I got the car it was completely original with 7,000 miles on it. First and last of cars this way and I had a bunch.

Auto Transport Service
Back