• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 ball-trunnion automatic

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Does the ball and trunnion have heavy grease in it? I noticed a dirty oil spot on the ground, when I wiped it it was very thick like gear oil. Was under the location of the ball/trunnion. Haven't looked at the trans itself.

Thanks. Are they easily refilled?
I'd follow the service manual. I have'nt had to mess with mine too much. But, i will say, when I got my car, it was pretty freshly serviced and before long, it was blowing goo out like yours....there was so much in there that it developed a driveline vibration at speed. I squeezed and scooped some out.... It quit leaking and quit vibrating. So, I'd carefully follow for the proper stuff, and dont get too crazy with it.

Can you briefly describe how you got it off and reinstall with grease

I need to find out if that thing can be replaced with the tail shaft from a newer trans there by eliminating the ball/trunion. I want to keep my push button trans, auto floor shifter is not an option

There was a thread here by a member, asking what was likely the weakest part of his drivetrain.
He mentioned having a B&T-ujoint conversion. So, there must something out there, I just dont know where. I dont think a tailshaft conversion is necessary.
I'm sure someone here will have a better answer......

There was a thread here by a member, asking what was likely the weakest part of his drivetrain.
He mentioned having a B&T-ujoint conversion. So, there must something out there, I just dont know where. I dont think a tailshaft conversion is necessary.
I'll do some searching, thanks

Found tons of pics of them, so it's been done plenty. But can't find anyone that sells them. Found 1 link on A bodies but not working now

You might ask the trans shop we talked about, the stock/superstock racers shop. (Drawing a blank on his name. I'll come up with it..... in two hours, lol)

You might ask the trans shop we talked about, the stock/superstock racers shop. (Drawing a blank on his name. I'll come up with it..... in two hours, lol)
Remac. On my to-do list

You can pull your drive shaft. There is a cover plate at the front of the ball and trunion joint. Bend back the tabs to remove it, and try not to ruin the gasket. You can now push back the housing and scoop out the old grease, that has likely become runny. Check the rubber boot for any tears. This could be the source for any leaks. The shop manual is very specific about not overloading the joint with grease. I am just in the process of rebuilding this joint on my own Dodge.

You can pull your drive shaft. There is a cover plate at the front of the ball and trunion joint. Bend back the tabs to remove it, and try not to ruin the gasket. You can now push back the housing and scoop out the old grease, that has likely become runny. Check the rubber boot for any tears. This could be the source for any leaks. The shop manual is very specific about not overloading the joint with grease. I am just in the process of rebuilding this joint on my own Dodge.

Check out the links I posted for some good how to's.

Ain't touching it. I'll need to check out the shop close to me and see if it's something they do. I have a couple other trans issues that I've been neglecting to talk to them about

It is a PIA you really need a new boot if it is cracked.

Actually the B&T was stronger. In fact they still used them in on Mopars in Nascar into the ‘70’s.

Auto Transport Service
Back