• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 dodge polara engine swap

44070dart

Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
picked up 63 dodge and would like to swap out bad 318 for 340/360 or 383/440...wondering which direction to go for best bang for buck ..and to keep expenses down after the cost of engine ...this is a street car for the most part..any help appreciated

Congrats on the 63 ! I love'm. I usually take my time and think about how much I want to spend or can spend. Then I generally use the " more cubes the better " rule of thumb and go from there. Remember that you'll have to change the trans too if you go BB. A strong running 360 would probably be the best bet. Good Luck!

Assuming that it's a 318, the most cost effective way to do a swap would be to drop an LA engine in, cause it will bolt up to the original trans

Hey 44070dart, you have a bunch of options. What about dropping a hot cross rammed 440 or 496 and backing them with a 727. Build yourself sort of a max wedge clone. With a handle like 44070dart youy got to be big block guy.

pulling the 440 out of the Dart would be a have a cause to commit order attached to it.. cant go that way ..Max wedge just sound great but $$$....the LA is probably the way to go for financial reason...probably thought that all along but always good to hear experienced opinions and options ..thanks ..great site ..I'll be here picking people brains and scavenging parts like on the A body site

Just real quick, I've been thinking that a 360 Magnum in good running condition from a late model truck($500?), switch over to carbureted ( Air Gap w/ 750 vac)($500? more?), swap in the MP roller cam (the crate motor one)($250?, re-use roller lifters) and change oil pan and you're almost done for cheap. Roller cam, Magnum heads, what's not to like? Good Luck

Man you have to go bigblock in that cool car. :yes: The B-bodies work best with a bigblock at their weight and even if you dont do a max wedge clone you can still build a cheap bigblock and run good. My mild 440 puts my 63 Sport Fury in the mid 11's and I still dont have a crossram. But I plan to get one some day. You build a mild 440 without a crossram as you can always go with a crossram later when you have more money if you want to. You can still have the max wedge look even if it dont have a crossram and it wont take much to put it in the 11's with a bigblock. My 440 is very mild as I use factory 906 heads and have 10.0 pump gas comp and it uses the MP .557 cam with a single carb. You can se I gave it the best max wedge look I could for a single carb. All it needs now is the crossram someday for the total maxie look ! :) Ron

100_1101.jpg

100_0964.gif

New gen carb'ed hemi?

I totally agree with 383man, the early b-bodys acts like a complete different car with a BB. I swapped from a 318 poly to a 413 4bbl, this swap is something I never going regret.

My 62 Dodge Dart is a slant 6, manual 3 speed car from the beginning with PS and PB, all I have done; cut and weld new engine mounts on the k-frame, BB radiator, linkage to the 727 tranny, a driveshaft.
The car handles VERY nice.

But If you want the easiest way you should swap to another small block, in that case you dont have to change much else other then the engine. -Niklas

thanks for the tips ..these sites are great for all kinds of info....leaning towards going with well built 360...bucks are a little tight ..have a big block in the Dart and am well aware of there potential .... do the small block and use money saved to finish the car

This started as a /6.

P7180010.jpg

P7070006.JPG

MOPAR 017.JPG

MOPAR 019.JPG

looks like a pit bull ..deserves a BB :yes: .. but cash :no:...got the long hard winter to flip back and forth on this......put some pics in gallery

MOPAR 017.JPG

MOPAR 019.JPG

You can put a bb in that car since the k-member is the same for318 or 440 you just need the correct 62-65 mounts. I have a nice built 440 if you need it that has not even been run yet. PM if interested

Uh---Hemi!!!

Hemi Guy, He said $ are a problem.. BB is the way to go in my opinion. It just won't feel the same with a small block..

A complete 5.7 low millage engine, transmission, wiring harness and computer can be bought for 3900$, headers, exhaust system , radiator, fuel pump 1500$. Now that's a bad *** 63.

Auto Transport Service
Back