• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Fury, new member, new to B bodies

Runyonracing

Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
The Fury is all original, 318 poly with 727 push button. The old 318 poly is worn out and I have a 408 stroker sitting on the stand. From what I have gathered, the engine mounts will transfer, my A-body headers will work, the transmission will bolt up. My concern is the 408 is externally balanced, so I will need a B&M 10236 flexplate (my current flexplate is for 904) and I will need to either buy another convertor or send the original out to be zero balanced? Is my information correct, and does anyone see any other problems? Thanks

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. You just need the B&M flex plate. Your old converter will be fine. Original cable shift transmission? These have the smaller 19 spline input shaft (which changed to larger 23 spline in 1967), and it is getting hard to find the older converters.

The Fury is all original, 318 poly with 727 push button. The old 318 poly is worn out and I have a 408 stroker sitting on the stand. From what I have gathered, the engine mounts will transfer, my A-body headers will work, the transmission will bolt up. My concern is the 408 is externally balanced, so I will need a B&M 10236 flexplate (my current flexplate is for 904) and I will need to either buy another convertor or send the original out to be zero balanced? Is my information correct, and does anyone see any other problems? Thanks
I have never heard of a 408 that's external balanced, are you sure bout that? The B&M flexplate you listed is all you need.. that fixes the balance issue.

I have also been told A-body headers will interfere with the torsion bars on b-body.. but headers always seem to be unknown til tried.

You just need the B&M flex plate. Your old converter will be fine. Original cable shift transmission? These have the smaller 19 spline input shaft (which changed to larger 23 spline in 1967), and it is getting hard to find the older converters.
*Impossible to find a 19spline higher than stock now pretty much..i looked for a year and no one will even make them due to lack of parts. Going through the same stuff on mine.. i need to get the parts to convert to 24spline

What engine did the 408 start out as? 318 and 340 are internally balanced. Only the 360 is externally balanced.

What engine did the 408 start out as? 318 and 340 are internally balanced. Only the 360 is externally balanced.

it will have started as a 360.. pretty much every 408 kit made comes internally balanced.. I just want to make sure he doesn't think it's still external since the 360 rotating assembly was external.

I have never heard of a 408 that's external balanced, are you sure bout that? The B&M flexplate you listed is all you need.. that fixes the balance issue.

I have also been told A-body headers will interfere with the torsion bars on b-body.. but headers always seem to be unknown til tried.
Icetech,
The 408 was purchased from Blueprint engines. Its base engine was a 1979 360, turned into 408 stroker. It was one of the last 360 LA externally balanced 408 engines they built before going to the magnums. It dyno'd at 453hp @ 5400rpm and 504 ft. lbs. @ 4200rpm, nothing radical has good potential. I raced it last year in an fully dressed 1973 4dr Dart, best E.T. was 7.40 in the 1/8 and 11.8 in 1/4. Even if the converter has weights on it, it will be ok with flex plate only? I'm worried about the headers and the 727, I ran them with a 904. Worse case I end up running the 904 and having a driveshaft made, just wanted to keep the push button. Thanks for info.

Icetech,
The 408 was purchased from Blueprint engines. Its base engine was a 1979 360, turned into 408 stroker. It was one of the last 360 LA externally balanced 408 engines they built before going to the magnums. It dyno'd at 453hp @ 5400rpm and 504 ft. lbs. @ 4200rpm, nothing radical has good potential. I raced it last year in an fully dressed 1973 4dr Dart, best E.T. was 7.40 in the 1/8 and 11.8 in 1/4. Even if the converter has weights on it, it will be ok with flex plate only? I'm worried about the headers and the 727, I ran them with a 904. Worse case I end up running the 904 and having a driveshaft made, just wanted to keep the push button. Thanks for info.
Thank you, i didn't know anyone ever did externally balanced 408s... just didn't want a mistake made is all :) Headers should be fine, i have never seen headers listed for X trans..

Not sure on the convertor.. sorry i'm not help.

welcome to FBBO

Welcome from New Zealand.

Pics please.
It's not a trailer queen, not trophy worthy, but drives me where I want to go. Soon will get me there faster.

20230424_191102.jpg

20230424_191035 (1).jpg

20230425_174342 (1).jpg

Welcome from Alabama, sorry I'm no help with small block things.

Auto Transport Service
Back