• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Gas Gauge Dissection and Repair

Just Send It

Local time
12:22 AM
Reaction score
1963 Dodge 330

The gas gauge in my car has never worked. The guy I bought it from said it hasn't worked since he bought it in 91'. So let's assume this thing hasn't functioned in roughly 40 years.

Today that changes....

20240127-162936.jpg

I'm rewiring the entire car over this Winter, and part of that process is undoing the impressive amount of electrical cobblery behind the firewall. It's a damn mess back there! Since the cluster was out anyway, I carefully took it apart and started inspecting the guages.

20240128-101236.jpg

After putting my extra strength bifocals on and shining the brightest light I have, I noticed that one side of the coiled wires had snapped off the post.

20240128-101509.jpg

I checked the resistance on the remaining wire to make 100% there wasn't another break where the wire is coiled. Thankfully the rest of the wire was solid!

I've never taken one of these apart before so I wasn't prepared for just how thin of a gauge that wire is. It's like the width of a hair and it's SUPER fragile.

I busted out the smallest soldering tip I had and went to work.

20240128-102818.jpg

After a bunch of cuss words and detaching my retina staring at this wire while the soldering iron was heating up, I was able to make a good bond.

20240128-120140.jpg

Moment of truth. A few Hail Mary's later, I had my wife hit the juice to the battery as I twisted the key.

20240128-142004.jpg

Sucker works! The curse is lifted. I'm stoked.

Last edited:
Does anybody know the purpose of that wire being so small? Does it act as a fuse? Could it be a larger gauge and not hurt anything? Thanks.

Well, Gents....

Much to my displeasure the gauge broke again. I guess that little wire on the inside is more brittle than I thought. It snapped right at the soldered joint.

Major bummer

I created a WTB ad if any of you guys have one lying around.

Auto Transport Service
Back