• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible 383 Golden Commando

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithchargers

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
This is a very rare 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible. This is a very nice driver quality car that will fit in at any local cruise inn or car show. This is a very reliable driver. The engine runs beautifully, has plenty of power, and runs cool. It has 107k original miles. The engine has been cleaned and repainted. It has all of the original factory equipment including the carb which has recently rebuilt. The engine bay still wears the original factory paint but is very clean and presentable. It even has the original windshield washer bag. The original push button transmission shifts nicely and has been recently serviced and had seals replaced. The car has the original 8 3/4 rear differential with 3.23 sure-grip 742 case. The floor pans and trunk floor are very nice and solid as the car has most always been stored inside over the years. The car was painted in either 1983 or 1984 and still has a very deep shine. The paint has some minor scratches in it but will probably mostly rub out. The rear quarter panel bottoms had been repaired for some minor rust issues but is very hard to notice and has held up very nice over the years. The front and rear bumpers have very nice chrome. The front grille and headlight bezels, tailight bezels, and rear finish panel are beautiful. The chrome trim at the bottom of the convertible top are showing some pitting but look presentable. The hood trim and decklid trim are nice. The stainless trim around the windshield is nice. The windshield has a small crack in the center toward the bottom approximately an inch in length. The interior of the car is very presentable but may need to be upgraded. The seats were recovered in the early 80's and they did a good job of matching the original colors and pattern but the medallions are missing in the seats. The carpet was also replaced and is not that of the original style. All of the gauges work except for the clock. The heater also does not work but appears to have a bad blower motor resistor. The original radio works if the antenna is slightly pulled out of the radio and cocked at an angle. I am not sure if it is a connection problem with the radio or the antenna. The end of the volume shaft where the knob slips on is broken also. The power top works beautifully. The top is in pretty nice condition with just some minor tattering at the bottom rear corners just above the rear chrome trim. The rear window was recently replaced.

This is a very rare car although I do not have the exact production figures I have been told that they made less than 300 Sport Fury convertibles with the 330 horse Golden Commando 383 like this one. What I have factually found is that they made 1500 Sport Fury hardtops with the Golden Commando engine and ironically 1500 Sport Fury convertibles (all engines) were built, so after looking at these production numbers, its not hard to imagine that 300 or less could have been built in this configuration. The car has the original fender tag but does not have the build sheet. I have been in touch with Chrysler Historical and they have told me that they would probably have copies of the IBM factory punch card, build sheet, and warranty information including the selling dealer but I have not yet sent off for that information. The only other option that I can tell that the car has is power windows which seems to be very rare. The car has American Racing 14" wheels with BF Goodrich TA tires.

The car was purchased from a man who has owned this car since 1983. The car was only driven to car shows and cruise inns. He purchased the car from the second owner. The second owner told him that the original owners, a couple who lived in Columbus Ohio, ordered this car and an exact twin of this car, and purchased them from a dealer somewhere in southern Ohio. The original owners manual is in the glove box but no record of owners is in it. The Chrysler Historical inquiry would be very informative for this car.
If you have any additional questions feel free to send me a message. Better pics available upon request.Could not upload clear pics of the car on this site. $18,900 obo

Attachments

• IMG00160.jpg
    IMG00160.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,710
  • IMG00161.jpg
    IMG00161.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG00162.jpg
    IMG00162.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,837
more pics

More pics