• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 8-3/4 Axle Bearing Source

MCODECUDA

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I’ve need to replace an axle bearing in my original 1964 housing with the tapered axle. Does any know if the ‘64 housing with the keyed tapered axle uses the same bearing as the ‘65 and up housing? Also if they are different who carries them?

Not the same bearings. I was able to find new Timkens... I'll have to go look at where....mighta been Napa or RockAuto. Sidenote...I originally ordered my kits from Cass at DrDiff. They noted the year and application, but sent me out bearings for '65 and up anyway.... That's how I know they are totally different size.

Timkin part numbers # 25877 and # 25821. You need qty. 2 and 2 bearings and races. I paid $44.00+ in September, from RockAuto.

Be careful when you teardown, the shims (end play adjusters) are no longer found anywhere AFAIK.

HTH, Lefty71.

Timkin part numbers # 25877 and # 25821. You need qty. 2 and 2 bearings and races. I paid $44.00+ in September, from RockAuto.

Be careful when you teardown, the shims (end play adjusters) are no longer found anywhere AFAIK.

HTH, Lefty71.
Thanks, I assume that the seals are the same as the later models.

Thanks everyone. It turns out that the same bearings and seals were used from ‘35 to ‘64. Everything is now on order.

Ha, yer joggin my memory now..... I def got seals from Napa, and they are a different animal as well, as you found. You can tell a whole lot if you have both '64 and '65 Factory service manuals.

I got an entire '64 rear end... :rolleyes:
1964dodge440cleanup2023pt6 057.jpg

And remember to grease the bearings. They are NOT lubricated by diff oil. There is an inner seal and outer seal so no 90 weight gets to the bearings. How I know is a very long story!

Auto Transport Service
Back