• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Fury convertible owners

1964Dan

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Just joined yesterday and I need help with 1964 Fury convertible top fitment. Has any one out there had a top installws lately. My upholstery shop is having trouble getting a top that actuallys fits the car. The tops are a couple inches too short and appear to need to be wider as well.

I have a '63 and a bud has a '64. We both encountered poor top installs! As the story went by the shop...installing old mopar tops is a bigger hassle. Ended up putting on a 2nd top after I measured the first then ignoring most of what I mentioned should be done. Was too narrow exposing the top of the windows too much looking like a fat guy in a t-shirt too small...grrr. Well he then admits his hassles on old mopar tops not being as proficient and told him why didn't ya just tell me this to begin with? It's the way it is for now until I take it to another shop that knows what they're doing.

@dmoore

Click on the above link then click on Start a Private Conversation. Dave specializes in those tops. You can tell him I sent you.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
To add, top shops have their go-to suppliers your shop may not have. You could ask shops in your area that might be willing to obtain one or check out some of these places on the web. One I found is Convertible Top Guys I think it is. They had a video on their site actually doing a 63 top. I bought some stuff from them for the top...pistons, lines, etc. They aren't the cheapest; but I'm not interested as much as da Q.

To add, top shops have their go-to suppliers your shop may not have. You could ask shops in your area that might be willing to obtain one or check out some of these places on the web. One I found is Convertible Top Guys I think it is. They had a video on their site actually doing a 63 top. I bought some stuff from them for the top...pistons, lines, etc. They aren't the cheapest; but I'm not interested as much as da Q.

My shop bought an E-Z on Top. They are a top notch supplier according to the shops around here. Thanks for the reply. Has your top been installed yet?

My shop bought an E-Z on Top. They are a top notch supplier according to the shops around here. Thanks for the reply. Has your top been installed yet?
It's on my to do list. I can send you a photo of what I encountered - two areas - well 3. The width is a deal! The 2nd top should have been 1/2" wider and he went half this. Result was a poor looking fit over the windows exposing too much and a stretched or curved line...looking crappy. Other is the gap at the base of the rear windows it was too large, result of a top slightly too short or miss-placed for the folding. The original back window on these era cars had the window all the way to the deck; I liked the look of the newer tops having a border at the base and this was done.
Anyway I'm thinking of a custom top since I have to go through the hassle of another top. My ride is gray and going to explore a gray top maybe vinyl rather than the canvas material.
Yep - be meticulous with your top fit and such - sum bitch to do over.

It's on my to do list. I can send you a photo of what I encountered - two areas - well 3. The width is a deal! The 2nd top should have been 1/2" wider and he went half this. Result was a poor looking fit over the windows exposing too much and a stretched or curved line...looking crappy. Other is the gap at the base of the rear windows it was too large, result of a top slightly too short or miss-placed for the folding. The original back window on these era cars had the window all the way to the deck; I liked the look of the newer tops having a border at the base and this was done.
Anyway I'm thinking of a custom top since I have to go through the hassle of another top. My ride is gray and going to explore a gray top maybe vinyl rather than the canvas material.
Yep - be meticulous with your top fit and such - sum bitch to do over.

I understand completely. I am helping the installer and am seeing the issues first hand. I am also thinking about have a top made as well, but I do not like my vehicle to be worked on other than in my shop. I was hoping that some top suppliers actually made a top that fits correctly. I have two convertibles to do and plan to have black tops on both of them. I have been screwing around with top issues from two manufacturers for a year now. It definitely is discouraging.

I understand completely. I am helping the installer and am seeing the issues first hand. I am also thinking about have a top made as well, but I do not like my vehicle to be worked on other than in my shop. I was hoping that some top suppliers actually made a top that fits correctly. I have two convertibles to do and plan to have black tops on both of them. I have been screwing around with top issues from two manufacturers for a year now. It definitely is discouraging.
I'm the same way; hate having shops do work on my car...it has been some irritating rework at times. But, you're attention on the top work is better than I thought of...blind trust will get you in a bad place.

I bought a top from Legendary Interiors and had it installed by a local professional shop on my 1964 Polara 500. I had no complaints from the installer about fitment and it looked good when installed.

I bought a top from Legendary Interiors and had it installed by a local professional shop on my 1964 Polara 500. I had no complaints from the installer about fitment and it looked good when installed.
Wish I'd a had some of your luck! Could you post a few photos so I can be more envious? Lol

Wish I'd a had some of your luck! Could you post a few photos so I can be more envious? Lol
Here you go, Ron. I sold this car a few years ago. Legendary Interiors top, well liner and boot.

09.jpg 10.jpg 22.jpg 29.jpg

Here you go, Ron. I sold this car a few years ago. Legendary Interiors top, well liner and boot.

View attachment 1291458 View attachment 1291459 View attachment 1291461 View attachment 1291462
SWEET car Dave thanks, my favorite model early B. Here are two photos of mine. The 1st one was the 1st top before getting the next one installed. As mentioned, after measuring it I requested a wider top giving the specs; BUT the shop took half of the requested width. Another 1/4" each side probably would have been just about right. Other deal was the placement length-wise, the photo shows the skank opening at the quarter windows that was corrected with the 2nd top.

Ply Top Pic 1.jpg Ply Top Seal r side 1.jpg Ply Top Pic 2.jpg

The tops that I bought from Legendary where bought about 20 years ago. I do know that they do not use the same supplier today. Legendary does not manufacturer the tops in their shop. How long ago did you buy the top from Legendary? Also, can you please look at the rear curtain in the lower left hand corner and see who manufactured the top? I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks for responding.

I think I must have bought my top close to 20 years ago too. Since I no longer have this car, I cannot check for manufacturer. Classic Industries also sells the tops for these cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back