• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Polara Orginal Console Shifter to Newer 727

vinnygee

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to get the orginal console shifter to hook up to a 66 up 727 transmission?

Any help would be great. I really want to keep the orginal shifter, and have seen this on cars at shows.

Thanks

I thought 64's all used pushbutton shifters??:edgy:

1965_cable_shift_console.jpg

ALL 64`s had push button or cable trannys if you will. I think the shifter runs the 2 cables just like the push buttons on the dash. 1 is for park and the other is for the r n d 2 l gears.. I bet if you write into "mopar collectors guide" or email them, they can help.

Very simple, easy to do project. Bear with me on this. Get a B&M or similar type cable, make a small bracket to bolt to the cable and then bolt the other end to the shifter. You gotta connect the cable to the shifter first so you know how long of a bracket you'll need. I'm doing this very same thing, but I've got a 545RFE trans (5sp. auot). Ill get some pics posted when it's done, that way you have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

thanks for the information, hope to see the pictures soon.
It would be a lot easier if there was something to buy off the self.

did anyone ever use the cable from Imperial Services?

thanks for the information, hope to see the pictures soon.
It would be a lot easier if there was something to buy off the self.

did anyone ever use the cable from Imperial Services?

I have a push button setup that was rebuilt by Imperial Services that came with the car but was told I'd have to change out the detent spring in the valve body so I ended up using a Lokar floor shift kit which also came with the car to avoid messing around with the valve body. Anyways seems to be a very nice cable.:edgy:

Almost done with the bracket...need to get (2) 1/4-20 bolts and then it'll be done and I will post some pics.

Here it is all done. You'll notice a black bushing in the eyelet of the cable, it's there to take up the slack between the tit and the eyelet. The grommet is so the cable stays centered and the bracket is self explanatory.

first primer 053.jpg

first primer 054.jpg

first primer 055.jpg

first primer 056.jpg

first primer 057.jpg

I used the Imperial Services conversion on my Satellite works great.

Nice Job 5.7 Hemi. Can you tell me the part # for the Cable?
Also, do you have pics of how the cable is connected to the transmission, does a mounting bracket come with he cable?
Thanks!

Not sure on the cable part number, but you can find it online or at pepboys, kragen, etc. Since I'm using a 545rfe trans, I had to make a bracket to hold the cable at that ens, custom one off if you will, but the ends for the trans are available thru summit racing, jegs or online. Hope this helps you out.

I actually have one of these conversion for sale if anyone is interested.

Still have it Joe? I'm actually going the other way. Gonna put a 64-5 Chrysler? console in a 68 B-body, just because I like the looks, and I really want to save and use that shifter. I'm guessing that's a 1 cable set up with a different shift arm for the tranny?

Imperial Services shift cable kit

I used one of the Imperial Services cable kits on my 65' Satellite with a 71 trans--works perfectly.

Still have it Joe? I'm actually going the other way. Gonna put a 64-5 Chrysler? console in a 68 B-body, just because I like the looks, and I really want to save and use that shifter. I'm guessing that's a 1 cable set up with a different shift arm for the tranny?

Not what you're looking for, but this is what I have.

Push button dash shifter set up by Imperial Services. Single cable set up.

Misc. extra car parts 008.jpg (99.0 KB)

Attachments

• Misc. extra car parts 008.jpg
    Misc. extra car parts 008.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 623
What do you want for it? I have a buddy doing an altered wheelbase 64.

Imperial services part number IS-352, comes with cable, brackets and all. $160.

Auto Transport Service
Back