• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 A990 Factory Race Cars ?

It was a 64...Bobby Spears campaigned one also mainly on the west coast....1964 Galaxies, not 1963.

Opps my mistake. I dont know if Ford did any lightweight Galaxy's in 64 since they built the Thunderbolts. Ron

Opps my mistake. I dont know if Ford did any lightweight Galaxy's in 64 since they built the Thunderbolts. Ron

Ford did make lightweight galaxies in 1964. Bobby Spears and Mike Schmidt campaigned them with heavy Ford Backing. They were 427 with 425HP dual quad motors. Spears 4 speed and Scmidth Automatic. Like I said Scmidt held the AA/SA record most of the year in 1965 with his Fordomatic Auto Trans car racing against all of us with max wedge Aluminum nose Torquefiltes.

I have a bunch of different years variations/photos of Mopar AFX or AWB early 63-67 cars

I have a crap load more of the Barracudas & other A-bodies too
I'll post some later maybe...
I'm sure I've posted some before too
a ton more early precursor to the {66} F/C's

Attachments

• 64 Belvedere AFX 2014 Nhra Hot Rod Reunion #1.jpg
    64 Belvedere AFX 2014 Nhra Hot Rod Reunion #1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 65 Belvedere A990 AWB AFX Tia Juana Taxi.jpg
    65 Belvedere A990 AWB AFX Tia Juana Taxi.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 65 Belvedere A990 AWB AFX UFO.jpg
    65 Belvedere A990 AWB AFX UFO.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Bill Shirey The Professor.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Bill Shirey The Professor.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 402
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Blackarrow Bill Grumpy Jenkins tuned #2.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Blackarrow Bill Grumpy Jenkins tuned #2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 385
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Buckeye #2.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Buckeye #2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Color Me Gone.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Color Me Gone.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 458
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Ferner Tubbs.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Ferner Tubbs.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Firebrewed #1.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Firebrewed #1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 65 Belvedere AWB AFX Temptation.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB AFX Temptation.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 65 Belvedere AWB Dick Smith.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB Dick Smith.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 65 Belvedere AWB Melrose Missile VI Tom Grove.jpg
    65 Belvedere AWB Melrose Missile VI Tom Grove.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 65 Valiant AWB AFX Golden Chariot #1.jpg
    65 Valiant AWB AFX Golden Chariot #1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 66 Belvedere AWB AFX Kount Hemi.jpg
    66 Belvedere AWB AFX Kount Hemi.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 328
  • 66 Dart AWB AFX Injected Bill Riechs.jpg
    66 Dart AWB AFX Injected Bill Riechs.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 450
Budnick....the 2nd pix above showing the motor thru the 1/2 open firewall is my 1965 Plymouth Funny Car when I was still running it carbureted before I switched to Hilborns on Fuel.
Mike

Budnick....the 2nd pix above showing the motor thru the 1/2 open firewall is my 1965 Plymouth Funny Car when I was still running it carbureted before I switched to Hilborns on Fuel.
Mike

Yeah;
I got it from here somewhere, one of your ol' posts,
I figured you'd notice...LOL

Here is a story that I got from a guy in his 90's. He was a boat racer from L.A. In 1964/65 when the Race Hemi first came out,Chrysler gave him a new station wagon and several Race Hemi engines.He said Chrysler was very good to him and would give his team lots of engines and parts.It could be that back in those years guys were buying plain jane cars (before the body in white deals came out) and installing the Hemi engines themselves.Maybe ??

Bob Goss's A-990 Uber tribute, and my POS A-990 basket.

Duane

Your 1965 Dodge is not a POS..... Finding a sedan is limited. The production numbers were very limited and more than most would not know. So, in essence what you do have. Please cherish. Now on to my A990 Dodge relived. I purchased this car from a man in Canada named Don Miller. He was one of the men who had a friendship with Hap Gooder which owned "Thunder II". The car I have purchased from Don had many of the original parts for a A990 vehicle and had a nice collection to salvage "Thunder II" originally being it the "The Quarter Mile Hustler". Don after 13 (+) years know never get to building with Hop G. building the sister car. All lightweight stuff less the glass, engine but did have the original intake and many other parts to bring back an A990.

Well, me being a opportunist besides a gear head saw the chance in reliving a museum build that most would never get the chance in building an A990 from salvaged parts to own one. Well, after a year and mind you, 3000 hours later to restore such a vehicle, it happened. I myself had 38(+) years of many specific original parts stored away thinking,"One Day I Will Restore History...Well, " Lol.....In any case, per some Chrysler guys at the SEMA 2015 Show, its spot on towards originality. One thing though, the vehicle is much better than the ones purchased from the dealer back then. You understand as a nostalgic drag racing fan. Many of these cars, A864, A990, Thunderbolts, etc.... Were never purpose built for the normal consumer. They were expensive during this time period at $5600.00+. You buy a loaded convertible with A/C and FM radio for $3900.00+. To buy a vehicle on a bill of sale with no warranty was crazy besides it not being street legal. "LOL, I will take 100 of today's money go back in time to buy". However, I will have to say, I am so honored at many who say....."Very Nice Work". It was due to not only me but a few other men that helped me along the way. Yes, I did have a lot of knowledge on this year vehicle and a car guy. I wanted a vehicle that would make a mark in history. As of today, 02/21/2017 the car has 23 test miles. I did drive the car besides a YouTube video you can find under my name. The vehicle drives well but very sick at 7000.... Mostly, the car sits like furniture on a cedar floor inside my home. Ok.....Again, I am a car guy......

Last edited:
I have a bunch of different years variations/photos of Mopar AFX or AWB early 63-67 cars

I have a crap load more of the Barracudas & other A-bodies too
I'll post some later maybe...
I'm sure I've posted some before too
a ton more early precursor to the {66} F/C's

repost see post 24

Wow,, and for $500 less you could get a left over 64 !!!

Yeah, but a bit out of my price range. It would look good in your stable next to your 65 dodge.........

Yeah, but a bit out of my price range. It would look good in your stable next to your 65 dodge.........

Maybe he' ll trade me?........btw, your avatar is that your new one?

Yeah, crappy cell phone picture. Hope to bring it home this summer.

0127171201a.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back