• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet Turn Signal Bulb Socket Issue

CrewCabCoronet

Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Recently had the front turn signal bulbs burnout in my 65. It looks as though the bulbs have not been touched in 30 years as i had to mangle them out. decent amount of corrosion in the sockets. after cleaning them out i simply cannot get a bulb to seat. looks as though the contacts are stuck. Ive tried both 1157 and 1034 bulbs. no luck. Is there a simple socket replacement option as ive seen on other classic cars or i am I screwed with trying to find costly NOS items?

I just encountered the same issue. The fix was pretty simple, file the contacts on the bulb to give them more of an angle or look for the 1157 bulbs that have the larger contacts that are already have more contact angle. Good luck, I hope this works for yoy

make sure you put some dielectric grease in the socket. It will help to keep the moisture out and the bulbs will be easier to get out to if needed. Dielectric grease is your friend, I use it on the bulkhead connections, light bult sockets and sparkplug wires.

Ron Francis wiring has some billet aluminum sockets that screw together which may work for you. You would pull out the old ones, clean the lamp housings then put in the new sockets. I'm going to use them on my tail lights so I won't have any ground issues which the stockers end up having from old age/moisture/corrosion etc.

The replacement (generic) sockets I purchased did not fit. I was able to replace the reverse lamp sockets, but the others were a no go. For now, no choice than clean up the old stuff best I could.

Local auto parts store has some cheap generic sockets that are worth a try. Worked fine for me and super easy to install. Used 2 - one on a front turn signal indicator as well as one of my reverse lights - each had a socket that was rusted to hell - way beyond repair.

I just googled it and found this - not sure it's the one I used but it sure looks like it.

https://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/do...gclid=CPmF4KLj3dQCFc2Kswod0IMAxg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hello All,

Recently had the front turn signal bulbs burnout in my 65. It looks as though the bulbs have not been touched in 30 years as i had to mangle them out. decent amount of corrosion in the sockets. after cleaning them out i simply cannot get a bulb to seat. looks as though the contacts are stuck. Ive tried both 1157 and 1034 bulbs. no luck. Is there a simple socket replacement option as ive seen on other classic cars or i am I screwed with trying to find costly NOS items?
On ebay under 65 dodge coronet the internals for the socket are for sale the contacts the spring and the insulators seller 67cayne

Thanks for the help guys , I ended up using some universal NAPA two wire sockets which worked fine. A little massaging of the lamp housing and they fit decently.

Auto Transport Service
Back