• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 dodge 727 shifter conversion

Red Cricket

Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
G Day all, Is it possible to adapt the original 727 column shift to a floor shift? Does anyone make a kit for this? any thoughts? Tks

If you use a 64 or 65 floor shifter and cables. No other shifter will work.
Doug

Now here's a dumb question (we didn't get any 65 b bodies up here)
You have a cable shifted column shifter?

Yup. '65 only. Goofy looking column lower end with 2 cables coming out of it. Used on C-body Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth as well.

I dont have anything now. Just not many options out there. I need the entire assy, cable , housing and GOOD spring.

cable is free to move now but mechanic said spring was broke. Looks to me like the spring has a double bend that attaches to nothing. Making the cable not work properly. ANY suggestions would Greatly be helpful. Tks

cable is free to move now but mechanic said spring was broke. Looks to me like the spring has a double bend that attaches to nothing. Making the cable not work properly. ANY suggestions would Greatly be helpful. Tks
Imperial Cable makes all the cables for the mid-60's Mopars. Their website is pretty good to sort them out, but the FSM's have some really good cable specs also.

Thank You Doug Now thats good info. My spring may Not be broke . Now days nobody has worked on these cars

If I understand this right, I think the OP is having troubles with the right hand side of the spring pictured in Doug's attachment; that is, the end with the double bends. In the attachment, the presenter said he could not get the set screw out of the park housing. When this happens, the only way to get the cable out is to take the whole cable and housing off as an assembly. This entails disengaging the spring from the park pawl lever. It is really hard to reinstall this housing and hook up the spring again to the lever, as a unit.
I don't know whether the OP could get the set screw out of his housing or not, but it sounds like it is off the transmission. The cable adapter and spring can now be removed from the housing and be assembled to the pawl lever. This is kind of complicated, as the open bent end of the spring has to be snaked through a small hole in the lever. The neck of the adapter fits in the notch of the lever, with the roll pin seating on the back side of the lever. This cable adapter and spring assembly will now hang from the pawl lever. The park cable housing and gasket, with set screw and cable removed, can now be slid over the open round end of the adapter and be bolted down. The park cable can now be pushed into the adapter until it latches in place. Adjustments can now be done per FSM. If the set screw is frozen in the park housing, heat can carefully applied to loosen it. Doug might even have a spare piece.

Auto Transport Service
Back