• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Plymouth

BillO

Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Guys,
I looked at a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, the car is beautiful great paint , new interior and mechanically sound. The only issue it has it was born as a 273 V8 with an Automatic and now its a 426W with a 4 speed. What would you value the car for ? Is the engine / trans swap a plus or minus? Seller asking $38K
Thank you
Bill
253620298_10219527274992571_1374110151583284403_n.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone is swapping drivetrains these days. If you want it, make it yours! You didn't mention asking price. ruffcut

I'll bet you can get the price down. If he came down to 30 would you be happy? IMO thats more realistic.

I'll bet you can get the price down. If he came down to 30 would you be happy? IMO thats more realistic.
At 30K its more digestible, he dropped it to $36K

Engine trans swap in that car is a net positive for sure. I would base valve on what you see. $30-35k is not out of line at all for a nice one and if you think about the way inflation is going you may buy it a little early but you won't have paid too much. Hope it works out, cool car.

Bill, i don't know if you have had any of these older b bodies but where you really want to look hard at is the cowl area, mostly on the driver's side around the wiper arm hole and where that piece joins to the firewall. Also look up under the dash and check out the bottom side of that same area. These cars were built what poor drainage of the cowl in that area. Also look at the bottom of the front fenders, especially the passengers side. There is a inner fender brace and dirt/ leaves get stuck between the brace and fender and cause rot.

Bill, i don't know if you have had any of these older b bodies but where you really want to look hard at is the cowl area, mostly on the driver's side around the wiper arm hole and where that piece joins to the firewall. Also look up under the dash and check out the bottom side of that same area. These cars were built what poor drainage of the cowl in that area. Also look at the bottom of the front fenders, especially the passengers side. There is a inner fender brace and dirt/ leaves get stuck between the brace and fender and cause rot.
Thanks Dan I'm new to B Bodies I will look closely in those areas

Seller asking $38K
Just my opinion
If you really like it, take it at 36. If you walk away, don't be surprised 3 years from now you'll think "Man, I should have bought it".
These cars are getting scarce. It's a done car. There're will always something that need tweaking or repair on a car that 56 years old. Try to find another '65 that's done that appears to be like this.
Then take a look at "project cars" that never get done.
you need three things on a project car
Time
Money
Space
Again, just my .02 cents
I respect whatever decision you make. It's your call.

I do agree with Chi Town, in my personal experience, a complete car is worth a lot compared to a "project" car. Been there, done that. All depends on what you want to spend, if the car is really good.

Bill, Dan64 is correct to look at the weak areas on these cars. Also look at the rear quarters, around the wheel wells, the rear section of the rockers really show the originality, as they are unique, with the 3 half moon cut outs, and like the cowl, and inner dash section, look at the inner Dutchman panel. They're all places that are tough to repair, and not many replacement patch panels available...

Guys,
I looked at a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, the car is beautiful great paint , new interior and mechanically sound. The only issue it has it was born as a 273 V8 with an Automatic and now its a 426W with a 4 speed. What would you value the car for ? Is the engine / trans swap a plus or minus? Seller asking $38K
Thank you
BillView attachment 1202956
Hi Bill: Welcome to the group! I have a Rust Free Cali Car still wearing original paint. Drivetrain swap ,440 Auto, I would be right in that wheelhouse, if I wanted to sell. Good Luck!

20210802_182402.jpg 20210417_102151.jpg 20210526_153817.jpg

"Man, I should have bought it".
All I have are early "B" cars. $38K or even $36K would be the high end for a wedge car that was once a Slant or Small Block.
$25K would be a bargain, but a good price range is the $30K-$32K if the car is solid.

These early B's are getting really hard to come by in decent shape, i was at Carisle and only counted 6 64' Polara's in the whole place compared to a sea of A & E body cars.

That's way to high money for that car. Unless its a rotisserie job, aftermarket suspension, high dollar motor its closer to $20K.
Doug

That car would be fun to expand on its restomod theme. Of course with a 426 race hemi that was technically available to the 65 Satellite. By the time you were done you of course would have closer to $75k into the car. But what a ride. If somehow you managed to find a 64/65 block? It would qualify for NHRA Stock nostalgia class if I'm reading the rule book right? 11 sec flat. Nothing N/A would touch you. (Ok, now I'm in dream land. Lol.)

As built that is a $30-$32k car all day long.

Auto Transport Service
Back