• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger Original A/C car Trying to decide fix the old A/C or replace it

Encswsm

Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 1966 Charger that came with a Poly 318 and factory A/C. at some point someone put a LA block 360 with a 1973 date code. I'm trying to decide if I should try to piece the A/C unit back together or just buy a aftermarket unit, the old heater box is still there and looks complete however the controls were missing so I purchased ones from a 66 coronet. . I gotta do something summer is coming and Southern Alabama gets Mighty hot!
Thanks

I would upgrade. Your old parts are hard to find and expensive.

Classic Auto Air. Don’t be skeered by the other AC thread.

There is a restored/rebuilt unit from Mr Heaterbox (?) on Facebook - on the 67 B Body pages -Search 66-67 Charger Freaks. No conection. Fwiw- i had mine rebuilt and would not do again. Seems that the replacement units are as good and can be had for less.

Thanks for the advice I’m leaning towards a new unit. Just so I don’t have to mess with it.

I see nothing but advantages to installing Vintage Air or Classic Air. Massive weight savings, much cleaner engine bay, small rotary compressor is more efficient and less horsepower load, and these systems seem to be reliable once installed.

I spent $$$$, had three guys try their best to troubleshoot my original system, and even paid a AC shop to give me a estimate for repair only to be given a estimate that exceeded several months salary. Considering that back in the day it was not unusual to have your car's AC charged once, or even twice a season I just do not see any advantages to keeping the original system. They were not leak proof when they were new, and 60 years later I do not think they have magically improved.

Concours guys keep their original AC and more than likely it is inoperable. Yes there are a few guys here that will tell you their original AC is working and reliable, but these guys also spent $$$$ and many hours of troubleshooting/finesse/incantations/voodoo/etc and they are not available to come to your place and fix your system.

I am in the keep it original camp.
I would think about keeping it original however one of the Previous owners swapped out the poly 318 for a LA 360 so originality is out of the question. Im looking into the classic ari system.

I have 2 aftermarket underhood setups one each with OEM under dash and one all new.
The all new setup works the best, far better fan speed even though the OEM one I run power off a relay direct to it.

In 1995 I purchased a 1968 Chrysler 300 that had not been licensed since 1974. It had been taken on short private property drives maybe two or three times a year. I knew about the car since new. When we went to pick it up, I took tools etc and 6 fuel filters. During the 200 mile trip home I changed four of the filters. Fuel system worked fine after that. Freon was low, so I had it recharged. When I sold it in 2004 the a/c was still working fine. Also drove it home on the tires that were on it.
Side story. Car would run consistent 15.1 secs/92 mph in the quarter. Once it got 14.9.
Got beat by a Corvette on one run, kind of ticked and realized the A/C was on low fan speed. Beat him the next runs with the fan off.
This car was bone stock 3:23’s.

The original boxes are best if they are intact and working. Most aftermarket stuff eliminates the fresh air option, and there’s less precise control over evaporator pressure. ;-)

Keeping factory stuff is an exercise in ingenuity, patience and precision. Then there’s cost. But I would rebuild the factory box, check over the vacuum controls and actuators and use a Sanden-type compressor with 134a and all new hoses, o rings, etc.

Hi All,
I have a 1966 Charger that came with a Poly 318 and factory A/C. at some point someone put a LA block 360 with a 1973 date code. I'm trying to decide if I should try to piece the A/C unit back together or just buy a aftermarket unit, the old heater box is still there and looks complete however the controls were missing so I purchased ones from a 66 coronet. . I gotta do something summer is coming and Southern Alabama gets Mighty hot!
Thanks
Are you looking for original A/C parts ????

I got my 66 coronet 500 with factory air that looked complete but was not working. I fixed it and retrofitted it to r134, worked great all last summer. Only thing that happened was a line at the compressor cracked, but I found a replacement for it off this forum and it was back in business. I pulled a vacuum on it, took in some oil, then r134 and poof! Ice cold ac. I wouldn't change a thing. Now, if I had been missing everything firewall out, I would have looked to the aftermarket for the parts and made it work that way. Ac is ac when it's 100* out. I like how the factory box works so I'd keep that if at all possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back