• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger taillight - your opinion!

Rebellion

Reaction score
Okay, just a bit of fun here…

Things for your consideration and opinions:

· A 1966 Charger (early build) that was pulled out of a midwest field long ago. Think many issues, and
Bondo aplenty! 383 car. It does have an engine. It has never run.

· An owner/idiot that (beyond all logic and reason) is determined to see this car live again. I am
extremely picky, yet this will still be a driver. Shows etc.

· Things are being addressed as they come off of the car. In essence; restored, replaced etc. This leads
us to the following options pertaining to the taillight lens:

· I have a full, vintage N.O.S. lens set, with gaskets, still in the original boxes.
· I have a full, One More Run reproduction set, still in the boxes. Keep in mind...plastic ‘CHARGER’ letters on these. Otherwise, very nice.
· I have the reproduction ‘CHARGER’ letters in metal.

Should I…

1.) Use the N.O.S set on the car...or should the set be saved, sold off, and used on a much more worthy
car (a.k.a. someone's Hemi show car)?

2.) Use the One More Run set. The modern plastic formulation used in this set will hold up better
over time. The letters, being plastic, won’t pit.

3.) Use the One More Run set. Replace the plastic letters with the reproduction metal ones. I haven’t
looked into this, but believe it can be done.

4.) Take the damn car to a small working garage. Put it up on the roof of the building, with the nose
hanging slightly over the front and wire the headlights so that they are on all the time!! Maybe
throw some advertising on the side!

5.) Get to work out in the shop! Leave us alone and stop asking insipid questions!!

Smile!
Tom (Rebellion)

Last edited:
Your light idea is definitely cool haha, but I guess I’d go with option 2, but not sell the originals. Keep the nos safe in a box. Maybe once you get into the project and the car comes to life you’ll want to invest more in it or make it ‘nicer’. Probably won’t find a set of originals in the box very easily again. Or make a fortune off of some rich guy on here who really needs them :)

My 67 is a daily…one of my lenses is cracked, but i never see it so it doesn’t bother me, if you get what I’m saying.

I’m more of a restomod guy myself anyways, those digital tailight things they have available are cool

IMO if the car is worthy of taking to a car show & putting time in it
I'd use the best parts available, NOS sets
sort of #1 option with a caveat
if you get another "more worthy car" later
then you can always swap out the NOS taillights/lenses & scripts

Many years ago, got very lucky and found a set of NOS taillight lenses w/gaskets in original packing on E bay for a ridiculously low price.. Bought them, installed them on my 66 Charger. Sold my old lenses which were in reasonable shape but slightly fogged for twice what I paid for the nos lenses. Can't believe what these lenses go for now days if you can even find NOS or even the repros..

In 1993 a fellow I know was going to the Large Portland Oregon swap meet. I asked him to pick up a NOS taillight assembly if he found one. Came back and told me he found one. Didn’t buy it. Didn’t want to cause a divorce.
It was 1900.00 US. I said thanks! He did say it sold.

Mine is all original and in very good condition.
I'm pretty protective of it, I always back into a spot and try and find somewhere it would be impossible to hit.
(like the outside edge of a parking lot etc..)

1715281417631.png

IMO, use the best you have. Sounds like you will not be happy with it if you use the repops knowing you have NOS in the que
My car had NOS lamp assys installed 25 years ago.

In the past year Ive picked up spares , used . But could almost pass for NOS themselves

back-side.jpg

right-lamp.jpg

Tail-Lights.jpg

IMO, use the best you have. Sounds like you will not be happy with it if you use the repops knowing you have NOS in the que
My car had NOS lamp assys installed 25 years ago.

In the past year Ive picked up spares , used . But could almost pass for NOS themselves

View attachment 1660689

View attachment 1660690

View attachment 1660691
That's definitely the way I've been leaning. You've got that part of my personality/self expectations pegged!
I AM enjoying and appreciating others thoughts.

Love your car.

Thanks!!

I wouldn’t “ waste” rare N.O.S. parts on a driver quality car if reasonable quality reproductions are available…

Back