• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 charger woes.

bob lee

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
please help ! i have a 1966 charger that is in great shape except for the side grill trim. the two c shaped pieces. i have replacement ones, but i can't figure out how to get the old ones off. any help would be great. thank you.

Whoa, whoa, whoa Bob. Slow down, take a breath. It's all gonna work out man.
In this section here, the "Welcome Wagon", introduce yourself and share some pics of your Charger.
We also have specific forums here to better suit your question about removing the trim on your grill.

Post your question here...
Exterior Body, Paint, Trim, Chrome

There's also a forum here a bit more specific to your car. Have a look...
1966-1967 Dodge Charger Forum

But let's see some pics of that '66 Charger.
And greetings, welcome to FBBO from NY!

Welcome from NY.

Jack it up.
Take off the front wheels.
Look at the new ones they have studs with 11/32" nuts.
1/4" nutdriver or ratchet with a variety of extensions. Just a little patience.

Welcome to the site but yup.....there's a forum for tech stuff like mentioned above plus a separate one just for the 1st gen chargers.

Welcome (3)f.jpg

Welcome to FBBO

I'd highly suggest buying a Year, Brand & even model-specific
Factory Service Manual, worth it's weight in gold

or download the many available online, most free
like from www.MyMoPar.com in the reference & tools section

Welcome from Alabama, great to see Gen I Chargers getting attention.

If it's like a Coronet, and I bet it is...

It's PITA.

You have to get something long enough to get over the bottom of the inside fender cubby but small enough to clear the space between that on the bottom and the top of the fender on the top.

Thin wall 3/8 socket with extensions or 1/4 drive, but then it's difficult to get enough torque.

Also the factory clip will want to "spring back" after you turn it counterclockwise, making it take a LOT longer to come off.

Welcome! The only thing not mentioned is you have dig out the splash shield first. Scrape and find the bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back