• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 500

Been wrenching on the Hudson the past two weeks. Deciding if I want to go electric with it! I have no compression in two holes, and 60# or less in the other four. Pulling the head off this weekend to check for bent or stuck valves, ring damage, or hoping just a blown head gasket. I know it ran six years ago, I heard it.

20210120_170417.jpg

A little more on the console. The console door I'm working is is super-nice; save for the hinge studs. All were missing but one. So, I got some screws the same length as the stud, plus nuts and some epoxy, and glued them where the old studs had broken off. Glued all that up tonight. I'll see if this brilliant solution works or not after work tomorrow. If everything bolts up and holds, then its on to painting the top silver and black.

I verified the studs were going to work by attaching the hinge, off the console. I decided to let it sit until tomorrow, to ensure the epoxy is going to hold. Then, attach to the console to test; then paint and final installation.

20210124_221152.jpg 20210124_221752.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working on my Hudson and my '68 D100, most recently. The truck has been sold, so I'm readying it for pickup by a transporter in the next couple of weeks, and the Hudson has low compression. I've been occupied with those two. However, I have the console top plates painted, and they look great! Pics later in the week. I need to take a couple of hours and get the console in the car, it's that close!

Did you ever find the correct silver to paint the top of the console?

Yes, I got the VERY expensive paint from this place:

https://8774paint1.com/products/rally-wheel-silver

With shipping, it was nearly $40.00, but the shade was absolutely dead-on correct for what I needed. Pics soon on the finished console. I sold the Hudson and the '68 D100 several weeks back, and have been able to concentrate somewhat on the Coronet.

Below is from my second entry in the saga:

1) New front brake lines and replacing the valve cover gaskets (master cyl was bad, all DONE)
2) Restoration of the correct console. (DONE, not yet installed)
3) Fix gas tank ground issue. (DONE)
4) Replacing a handful of gaskets (DONE)
5) Overall nose-to-tail inspection of the entire car, replacing/fixing any other hidden issues
6) Replacing the rear speaker grilles with period-right perforated speaker grilles
7) Installing high-output headlights with relay.
8) Maybe...new exhaust, fix the air conditioner

Auto Transport Service
Back