• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Dodge Coronet IFS Conversion

Drock

Local time
4:18 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been on hold doing any work on my Coronet for a few years now, but I finally have some cash to drop into it!

The front end has needed to be rebuilt since I bought the car, and my plan was always to convert to high-performance handling so it can be tracked etc . I think I'd rather get the suspension just how I want it before I get into the bodywork.

I've researched all the conversion kits out there and the price for IFS vs Stock-ish hotchkins/Q1/etc is not that far off from one another. I think I have settled on Control Freak Suspensions ... https://www.freakride.com/product/m...66-to-1972&attribute_pa_engine-size=big-block

Two general questions:
1. Anyone who has done this conversion using Control Freak IFS how did go are you happy with it?

2. Does anyone know of anyone/shop here San Diego/ Southern California that has done these conversions that I could reach out to, to get a quote on doing the work?

Thanks in advance for the input guys!

looks like mustang 2 crap to me....

you asked for input. I dont think mustang 2 based suspension is ground breaking or new and improved. its based on ford pinto suspension. Thats my input, I think its not good. Better?

you asked for input. I dont think mustang 2 based suspension is ground breaking or new and improved. its based on ford pinto suspension. Thats my input, I think its not good. Better?
What suspension setup do you think I should look into?

I dont remeber if it was with Control Freak or Magnum Force but heard theyve had issues with cracking as well as customer support issues.
I went with QA1 K member/Strut rods UCA & LCA'S , tie rod sleeves and PST torsion bars ....I cant say how it all works together as I'm still working on getting bugs out of the efi..

These cars actually came with IFS right from factory!

I like the factory stuff. improve on that. want a ford suspension? get a ford.

I would definitely do some research on improving the factory setup, which was engineered to suit the whole car. Better shocks, frame connectors, boxing in lower control arms, poly bushes, smaller lighter steering box (Borgenson for example), taking weight out of the front end (lightweight bumpers, smaller starter, aluminium intake manifold etc), modern tires on bigger wheels, you might be surprised at how well the car handles. Also, those new systems cost a fortune, are sometimes not built to "street" standards (and might be track only if you read the small print) and often have long lead times. They generally require lots of "massaging" to get them to fit, so unless you are installing yourself allow plenty of budget for labour costs.

I'd ask who on the staff has the engineering degree. Much of the aftermarket parts are welded, whereas the factory parts are not. A set of 1" torsion bars and maybe a set of good upper arms is all you need.

Auto Transport Service
Back