• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Satellite 318 power steering box seal from steering shaft leaking

SatelliteOfLove

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Hello

1966 Satellite 318 automatic, power steering box seal from steering shaft leaking.

This car has been sitting, in a garage for 24 years, so problems with seals are expected.
Been away, not working on Mopar cars since my 1969 340 Dart Swinger, almost 40 yrs.

What type of power steering box, would this 1966 Satellite 318 2 barrel automatic have?
Rock Auto offers a rebuild kit.
Need some instructions, any good You Tube tutorials for a DIY?

Read a posting here regarding replacing the power steering gear box with a modern one from a place called Steers and Gears, but as they are $400 would just like to rebuild this one that's in it.

Shaft size seems to be the variant here, the Pitman arm output shaft?

Just change the seal on your input shaft. I did my last one with box still in the car. If you can split the steering column at the coupler and knock the steering shaft back inwards just enough to pull out the old seal and slip on a new one. Pretty sure got the last one from NAPA.

Just change the seal on your input shaft. I did my last one with box still in the car. If you can split the steering column at the coupler and knock the steering shaft back inwards just enough to pull out the old seal and slip on a new one. Pretty sure got the last one from NAPA.
Yes I'm going to give it a try, as per Dadsbee instructions, it is exactly where mine is leaking.
Thank you

Last edited:
I used small screws, screwed into the old seal housing to pry it out.

I would strongly suggest changing the pressure and return hose while you are working on it.
After 50 some years they are at the end of their lifespan and a blow out is a potential fire hazard.

I’ve had 2 high pressure PS hoses blow. They were both on the freeway in warm summer weather on long road trips. Couldn’t see anything behind the car and the engine was covered in PS fluid.

Zero fire both times. FYI.

The screws in the old seal os a great little trick, is there a C Clip holding it in, sorry Dadsbee if I missed that part.

Thank you all for the replies and the heads up on the power steering high pressure hose.
Yes I'm going to replace it, also gives a chance to change out the fluid.

I’ve had 2 high pressure PS hoses blow. They were both on the freeway in warm summer weather on long road trips. Couldn’t see anything behind the car and the engine was covered in PS fluid.

Zero fire both times. FYI.

On a warm summer's evening.
Where you bound for nowhere?

A little Kenny Rogers Gambler humour.

Auto Transport Service
Back