• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1967 HP 440 Engine Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car will never be passed off as having the "original" engine - that's not true and I simply just don't want to go there. (As an aside, that's why I don't want to reproduce my missing fender tag on my 70 Road Runner.)

Having said that, it will receive a quality, high end restoration (coming to a FBBO thread soon). The key will be to be able to state that is has a "date code correct" replacement engine (and other components too).

I apologize that I implied that, it wasn’t intentional. The accepted purity of numbers is interesting to me given the “rewards” of faking stuff, and the relative ease of doing so. I too feel the desire to have the assembly be plausible. When I bored the 413 to 426 I started with a date-acceptable block that was 413/426 shared. Granted it was going into a 361 car so there wasn’t much faking to do there but I still like it to be as if it could have come that way. Same deal for you it seems.

it’s good to remember though, that unless you have excellent provenance the originality of your engine is as real as your belief in it and no more.

Here is one of the 67 blocks I have. Not sure how to interpret the pad. Came out of a 67 GTX that was parted out.
20200830_133216.jpg
20200830_133051.jpg

Now that I see the actual picture it looks like a July casting. The 7 looked like a one in the barn. Jan cast with dec build didn't make sense.

Another good reference too. January to December

Here is one of the 67 blocks I have. Not sure how to interpret the pad. Came out of a 67 GTX that was parted out.View attachment 995494 View attachment 995495
Now that I see the actual picture it looks like a July casting. The 7 looked like a one in the barn. Jan cast with dec build didn't make sense.
I agree. I think the cast date on the block is July 5th, 1966, and the build date is (I think if I am reading the pad right):
C440: C = 1967, 440 engine
12 14 HP2: built December 14th, Hi Performance engine. If I remember right, the 2 means it was built on second shift?

If correct, this implies a block cast in April of 1966 (which would typically be for a 1966 car) for a build with a "C" meaning a 1967 car, but built May 30. Why would they build it as early as May for a 1967 car? Am I missing something with this?

Ah, I see Nate thinks this could be a restamp. The numbers do not look consistent with what I have seen in the past, but I am certainly far from being an expert on these.

I apologize that I implied that, it wasn’t intentional. The accepted purity of numbers is interesting to me given the “rewards” of faking stuff, and the relative ease of doing so. I too feel the desire to have the assembly be plausible. When I bored the 413 to 426 I started with a date-acceptable block that was 413/426 shared. Granted it was going into a 361 car so there wasn’t much faking to do there but I still like it to be as if it could have come that way. Same deal for you it seems.

it’s good to remember though, that unless you have excellent provenance the originality of your engine is as real as your belief in it and no more.
No worries. It's fair to ask questions and challenge things. And yes, when one knows the history of a car that helps to prove what it is when there are no numbers that can state otherwise.

Does this block work for the dates you are looking for?

20200905_110628.jpg 20200905_110504.jpg

Does this block work for the dates you are looking for?

View attachment 997891 View attachment 997892
Thanks for looking, but unfortunately no - it is too early. The car was built June 8th in 1967. What is interesting is the block that is currently in the car has a build date very similar to yours: 6 20 66. The pad, however, has C440 that I interpret as a 440 built in 1967 (or for a 1967 car). However, the build date is 7 15. Is that 7 15 of 1966, or 1967?
There is a also a 030 stamp I haven't seen before - I wonder if it was added later?
20200904_144408.jpg

20200816_203526.jpg

This block is available if anyone needs it.

Hawk

The other block that we have for the car (the best we have), is a block cast 10 16 66, and assembled 12 15. This block is up for trade or sale if and only if a better date code block is found - one built somewhere between January to May of 1967 (ideally April or May).

Thanks,

Hawk
Terras_Block.jpg

20200902_164302.jpg

The 30 stamp is definitely added by a machine shop. Must be the block is 30 thousandths overboard. Looks just like the stamps that are on crankshaft that have been turned down.

The 30 stamp is definitely added by a machine shop. Must be the block is 30 thousandths overboard. Looks just like the stamps that are on crankshaft that have been turned down.
I agree that is the most reasonable and likely scenario.

Thanks for looking, but unfortunately no - it is too early. The car was built June 8th in 1967. What is interesting is the block that is currently in the car has a build date very similar to yours: 6 20 66. The pad, however, has C440 that I interpret as a 440 built in 1967 (or for a 1967 car). However, the build date is 7 15. Is that 7 15 of 1966, or 1967?
There is a also a 030 stamp I haven't seen before - I wonder if it was added later?
View attachment 998019

View attachment 998020

This block is available if anyone needs it.

Hawk

This one would probably be a very early ‘67 build. Figuring they start building cars in August, a July engine seems reasonable. The 030 is definitely after the fact. Probably a “note” left behind by whoever rebuilt it last.

That the most important part and what you should be looking at. The cast date is less important compared to the stamped build date compared to your vehicle build date. Post that once you have it and we will be able to better assist. I have two 67 hp blocks and depending on what your stamp date is, might be willing to work with you on a swap. I’m south of you in NC.

still have the 67 440 blocks? what are the dates on those? if you don't mind me asking.

My dad bought his new in PA. Then bought it back again in Orangeville PA. I remember him telling me that in 67 they didn't stamp them HP on the block. Not until 68.

HP is stamped on the pad and also on the end of a 915 head on any 67 I’ve seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back