• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 musclecar comparison video

R413

Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
interesting video. Lots of info on the brand X cars that I didn’t know. I also didn’t know you have to replace water pump, alternators and starters every 6 mo the on a GTX. LOL. The end is a surprise

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Very educational found some things I didn't know.

I had never heard you could still order a power glide in a 67 Chevelle SS. News to me.

Thanks for posting!

I had never heard you could still order a power glide in a 67 Chevelle SS. News to me.

Thanks for posting!
Even odder was the 1967 tri-power 427 Corvette that used a powerglide, as the T400 wouldn't fit until the redesigned '68 version.

I have an original Motor Trend special edition where all the 1967 Muscle Cars were road tested and compared. They liked the 440-powered GTX and R/T the best because of torquey motor, torsion bars and disc brakes. The '67 Chevelle SS 396 was slammed the most for sloppy suspension and terrible drum brakes. If you did not order optional disc brakes on your GM Muscle Car, you got the same 9 1/2" drum brakes as Aunt Martha's grocery getter six banger. The Fairlane and Comet were not in the same league with their 390. Ford got their crap together the next year, however, with the 428 Cobra Jet engine. This was one of the best motors of the Muscle Car era, but very underrated in posted horsepower and respect. This coming from a 440 Dodge guy.

Even odder was the 1967 tri-power 427 Corvette that used a powerglide, as the T400 wouldn't fit until the redesigned '68 version.
Many years ago, i
had a chance to buy a 67 corvette with the 400hp (oval port) tripower, a powerglide roadster. Teak wheel, side pipes, simulated knockoffs.A/C!
Didn't have the asking price, they offered me next to nothing for my fuelly 57 Belair hardtop, so I passed. They wanted $2300 for the vette, and couldn't get it, cause of the glide. $150k car today. Easy.

I have an original Motor Trend special edition where all the 1967 Muscle Cars were road tested and compared. They liked the 440-powered GTX and R/T the best because of torquey motor, torsion bars and disc brakes. The '67 Chevelle SS 396 was slammed the most for sloppy suspension and terrible drum brakes. If you did not order optional disc brakes on your GM Muscle Car, you got the same 9 1/2" drum brakes as Aunt Martha's grocery getter six banger. The Fairlane and Comet were not in the same league with their 390. Ford got their crap together the next year, however, with the 428 Cobra Jet engine. This was one of the best motors of the Muscle Car era, but very underrated in posted horsepower and respect. This coming from a 440 Dodge guy.
I had a 69 428 CJ Ranchero at the same time as my A12. I'm sure gearing had something to do with it (3.25 open versus 4.10 dana) but the roadrunner was easily a second and a half faster, both stock. I think my ranch was one of the weaker 428s around.

In 67 Gm and Ford were still behind the 1964 426S in every way.

Auto Transport Service
Back