• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 plymouth ignition lock cylinder without an old key

richard

Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Guys, anyone have a "how to" for removing the old ignition lock cylinder from the ignition switch when you do not have the old key?

I think the are crimped on with little ears that barely fold over.

Royal PITA to bend without breaking.

I've always found it easier to just get a different cylinder that already has a working key, and then rekey the other locks.
The other cylinders are super easy to rekey.

There are also lots of different models that use the same ignition switch over several years.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am gonna try to pick the lock before I try to pull the back apart.

A used ign cylinder with key can probably be had for $30 or less.

Kinda hard to pick...at least they were for me but at one time I had a very large collection of keys and usually had one that would work :D

I just bought a brand new switch with lock cylinder and key, this morning at NAPA, for $23. This is for my 66 Coronet.

I was able to pick the lock after a little while. Made some picks from looking online at different types out of an old wiper blade stainless rib. Worked great. Was able to put in the new stuff. Thanks for all the feedback.

Auto Transport Service
Back