• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 B body build sheet question?

robert horman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
I have question between my 1968 car build sheet and friend's cars build sheet. on the bottom row under steering column my car says 36X his 2 cars say 39X and 40 X. Can someone tell me what these 3 steering columns are their differences. I have looked in the parts book I own but cannot find any information on the steering columns. The parts book only tells part numbers of individual parts to repair columns. Bob Horman

Column shift auto, column shift 3 speed manual, floor shift, manual steering. Power steering, lots of variables.

Column shift auto, column shift 3 speed manual, floor shift, manual steering. Power steering, lots of variables.
Can anyone tell me what 39X and 40X steering columns mean I already know what 36X means, my car automatic with floor shift console. I believe 40X means automatic column shift B body car. Does anyone know what 39X means in a 1968-70 B body car? bob Horman

I have (2) 68 chargers that have both buildsheets. They are both 39x coded steering columns. One is a 4 speed car with factory power steering….the other is an auto console shifted power steering car. Both the same column.

I guess yours must be manual steering?

I wonder if wheel, or color comes into play

Power steering columns have a shorter shaft than manual steering, perhaps that is one of the differences.

Auto Transport Service
Back