• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

building sheet question 1968 Dodge Charger

robert horman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Trying to identify code on 1968 Dodge Charger build sheet for steering column 40X. Can anyone tell me from there build sheet what kind of steering column in car. Manual steering or Power steering? Column shift or console shift? Thanks much, any help appreciated. Bob Horman

Is the car available?
I always start with the obvious and work backwards. If it had a console, it's a console car.
Etc

40X showed up in this thread. It was a 4 speed '68 Charger; and the "X" designated black color.

Broadcast Sheet Decode

Trying to identify code on 1968 Dodge Charger build sheet for steering column 40X. Can anyone tell me from there build sheet what kind of steering column in car. Manual steering or Power steering? Column shift or console shift? Thanks much, any help appreciated. Bob Horman

Backward engineer the code.

Does the car have PS (It would be coded)
Does the car have Auto Pilot (It would be coded)
Is the car an automatic or manual transmission? (coded)
If automatic, is it a column or console floor shift? (coded)
If it's a manual transmission, it is a column three speed or floor four speed (coded)

Start there and see what you come up with.

X = black in color.

This posting is for my buddy Russ his 1968 Hemi Dodge Charger. my car1968 Hemi Dodge Charger has black interior, console automatic shift, power steering with 36X on build sheet under steering column. My buddy Russ has 1968 Hemi Dodge Charger with black interior, console shift automatic. His build sheet says 40X under steering column. We are trying to figure out is the car manual steering or Power steering. His car has Auto trans console we are sure of by the build sheet. as of today the car has a power steering column it. the car is being restored. all we need to know is the car power steering or manual steering. both cars Black interior. 2 very similar cars with different number on steering column. This is why I posted the question. Thanks for all help Bob Horman

Last edited:
This posting is for my buddy Russ his 1968 Hemi Dodge Charger. my car1968 Hemi Dodge Charger has black interior, console automatic shift, power steering with 36X on build sheet under steering column. My buddy Russ has 1968 Hemi Dodge Charger with black interior, console shift automatic. His build sheet says 40X under steering column. We are trying to figure out is the car manual steering or Power steering. His car has Auto trans console we are sure of by the build sheet. as of today the car has a power steering column it. the car is being restored. all we need to know is the car power steering or manual steering. both cars Black interior. 2 very similar cars with different number on steering column. This is why I posted the question. Thanks for all help Bob Horman
Thank you all who helped, 69coronetrt, Deltav, Dadsbee, and RemCharger for helping Bob Horman

Look under code 456. Second row toward the right hand side.

XS29J8B370069_BS.jpg

I had chimed in, but deleted the post as my info was erroneous for the year.

I had chimed in, but deleted the post as my info was erroneous for the year.
I would like to believe that the build sheet are always correct. My friend Russ car say 40X in the steering box on bottom line and does not have any number in the #456 box. this should mean his car is manual steering console automatic. My build sheet says 36X in the bottom-line steering column box and no number in the 456 box under steering. this would mean my car is manual steering automatic console shift. My car was totally complete when I bought it with original engine, trans and rear end and POWER STEERING. I don't get it this is why I am hoping to find someone who's car is like my friends' car. He wants to restore the car correctly. Again, thanks to all who helped out! Bob H

I would like to believe that the build sheet are always correct. My friend Russ car say 40X in the steering box on bottom line and does not have any number in the #456 box. this should mean his car is manual steering console automatic. My build sheet says 36X in the bottom-line steering column box and no number in the 456 box under steering. this would mean my car is manual steering automatic console shift. My car was totally complete when I bought it with original engine, trans and rear end and POWER STEERING. I don't get it this is why I am hoping to find someone who's car is like my friends' car. He wants to restore the car correctly. Again, thanks to all who helped out! Bob H

FWIW...I have eleven 1968 B body broadcast sheets showing STEERING COLUMN 40* where * indicates the color. All of them also code 456 POWER STEERING cars.

FWIW...I have eleven 1968 B body broadcast sheets showing STEERING COLUMN 40* where * indicates the color. All of them also code 456 POWER STEERING cars.
The info you have is great. In the box #456 is there a 6 in the box indicated that the car has power steering. If the box is just #456 without the 6 this indicates that the car does not have power steering. My car 1968 Dodge Charger hemi is original was not modified came from the factory with power steering and does not have the 6 in box #456 so my car should be manual steering. My car hemi auto console with power steering no power brake 323 rear end. I don't understand. I believe mistakes can be made. My car engine and trans the person putting the Vin number on back of engine and trans mistake. My Vin XS29J8B306212 my engine and trans stamped 8B36212. missing a 0. Galen has seen my car and said people make mistakes. I am going to tell my buddy Russ to make his own mind up what he wants his car to be. Thanks so much Bob Horman

Last edited:
The info you have is great. In the box #456 is there a 6 in the box indicated that the car has power steering. If the box is just #456 without the 6 this indicates that the car does not have power steering. My car 1968 Dodge Charger hemi is original was not modified came from the factory with power steering and does not have the 6 in box #456 so my car should be manual steering. My car hemi auto console with power steering no power brake 323 rear end. I don't understand. I believe mistakes can be made. My car engine and trans the person putting the Vin number on back of engine and trans mistake. My Vin XS29J8B306212 my engine and trans stamped 8B36212. missing a 0. Galen has seen my car and said people make mistakes. I am going to tell my buddy Russ to make his own mind up what he wants his car to be. Thanks so much Bob Horman
Tuesday night I had some information wrong. My buddy's car has 39X steering column with no number in box 456 on build sheet. I need to find out what 39X steering column means on build sheet Bob Horman

Tuesday night I had some information wrong. My buddy's car has 39X steering column with no number in box 456 on build sheet. I need to find out what 39X steering column means on build sheet Bob Horman

Again, reverse engineer the code.

The column installed is based on these items:

Does the car have PS (No)
Does the car have Auto Pilot (No)
If it's a manual transmission, it is a column three speed or floor four speed (coded)

The answer will be something like: B body, PS/no PS, auto pilot or not, console or column shift automatic OR floor mounted manual shift. All of this will be coded on the BS.

If everything is the same as your car except for the PS, then there is your answer.

Again, reverse engineer the code.

The column installed is based on these items:

Does the car have PS (No)
Does the car have Auto Pilot (No)

The answer will be something like: B body, PS/no PS, auto pilot or not, console or column shift automatic OR floor mounted manual shift. All of this will be coded on the BS.

If everything is the same as your car except for the PS, then there is your answer.
Tuesday November 29, 2023, 9 am. First i want to thank you for helping me with this problem. I am doing a little research today and I will post my thoughts latter today. Bob Horman

Auto Transport Service
Back