• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger build, just starting!! (picture heavy)

shepherm

Local time
12:11 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I bought a Charger a little over a month ago and I've been in the process of fixing little things. So here are a few things I've done and a few things I'm working on. I'm 90% sure its the original 383, with the intake, exhaust manifolds, and cam changed. I haven't found any numbers on the engine except for the corner of the oil pan and by the distributor. Both of the engine dates are 10/31/1967, the fender tag is 11/1/1967.

I rebuilt the 800 cfm carb and changed the jet/rods to get it running pretty good. I also replaced the spark plugs and a few other little parts.

Next I had a radiator leak and decided to replace it, and that's where it has gotten pretty deep..... I decided I would replace the hoses and belts at the same time, but once I pulled them I notice the water pump housing was in pretty bad shape. So, I ordered a new one of those. I also pulled the timing chain cover to see if the chain had been replaced since I already had the housing off. Now, I'm also replacing the oil pan gasket, with a gasket/windage tray.

Next up will be pulling the exhaust manifolds and fix the exhaust leaks.... Then I'm going to try and fix the leak on the top of the steering gearbox. I also have 650 cfm carb I might try it in place of the 800.

IMG-5066.jpg

IMG-5065.jpg

IMG-4947.jpg

IMG-5076.jpg

IMG-5074.jpg

IMG-5087.jpg

IMG-5156.jpg

IMG-5141.jpg

IMG-5160.jpg

IMG-5158.jpg

Nice to see your progress and such a nice Charger to start with.

B4C55F32-69D5-45DB-9DAA-B34A24DD5A30.png
Holy cow, that looks complete. The engine number will be on the upper back lip by the oil pressure sender. Look from the drivers side and it’s where the engine & transmission meet. It is either the vin# or (so) sales order#. I certainly wouldn’t throw out that radiator and would consider having it recored. You could sell it here because of the #s on it, if you don’t want it taking up space. Good luck with your beauty.

Nice Charger. I would definitely keep the original radiator as some of those aluminum radiators are of questionable quality or may only last a couple of years. Keep up the work on it.

Hello everyone! So I bought a Charger a little over a month ago and I've been in the process of fixing little things. So here are a few things I've done and a few things I'm working on. I'm 90% sure its the original 383, with the intake, exhaust manifolds, and cam changed. I haven't found any numbers on the engine except for the corner of the oil pan and by the distributor. Both of the engine dates are 10/31/1967, the fender tag is 11/1/1967.

I rebuilt the 800 cfm carb and changed the jet/rods to get it running pretty good. I also replaced the spark plugs and a few other little parts.

Next I had a radiator leak and decided to replace it, and that's where it has gotten pretty deep..... I decided I would replace the hoses and belts at the same time, but once I pulled them I notice the water pump housing was in pretty bad shape. So, I ordered a new one of those. I also pulled the timing chain cover to see if the chain had been replaced since I already had the housing off. Now, I'm also replacing the oil pan gasket, with a gasket/windage tray.

Next up will be pulling the exhaust manifolds and fix the exhaust leaks.... Then I'm going to try and fix the leak on the top of the steering gearbox. I also have 650 cfm carb I might try it in place of the 800.

View attachment 1206008

View attachment 1206009

View attachment 1206010

View attachment 1206011

View attachment 1206012

View attachment 1206013

View attachment 1206014

View attachment 1206015

View attachment 1206016

View attachment 1206017

Who makes that windage tray with the built in gaskets?

Looks like you have a nice example of the best year Charger imo. Was it originally a green car? Looks like some is poking out through the black spray bomb on the underside of the hood. If it was me, I would send that original radiator to Bob at Glen Ray. It will work better than new when he is done with it, and will fit with no modifications.

Looks like you have a nice example of the best year Charger imo. Was it originally a green car? Looks like some is poking out through the black spray bomb on the underside of the hood. If it was me, I would send that original radiator to Bob at Glen Ray. It will work better than new when he is done with it, and will fit with no modifications.

Good eye! Yes the car was Green, with green vinyl top, and green int.

Here's some more pictures of the inside when I bought it and after cleaning it up a little and pulling the nasty carpet out. I was really worried about the floors, but they look great.

Fender tag breakdown:

IMG-4948.jpg

IMG-4949.jpg

IMG-4952.jpg

IMG-4975.jpg

IMG-5061.jpg

IMG-5063.jpg

IMG-5067.jpg

IMG-4982.jpg

IMG-4948.jpg IMG-4949.jpg IMG-4952.jpg IMG-4975.jpg IMG-5061.jpg IMG-5063.jpg IMG-5067.jpg IMG-4982.jpg

Last edited:
My 68 383 Charger has a production day of 10-9-67 and my engine had the numbers where your does. No numbers on the back of the engine. My cast date on the engine is 8-11-67. I’m the 3rd owner and the 1st and 2nd owner’s told me they never took the engine out of the car. Early built cars never had numbers stamped on the back of the engine block and transmission in the area by the sending unit, so I have been told. Russ

My 68 383 Charger has a production day of 10-9-67 and my engine had the numbers where your does. No numbers on the back of the engine. My cast date on the engine is 8-11-67. I’m the 3rd owner and the 1st and 2nd owner’s told me they never took the engine out of the car. Early built cars never had numbers stamped on the back of the engine block and transmission in the area by the sending unit, so I have been told. Russ

I'm going to look again tomorrow, but like you, I didn't see any numbers on the back of the engine. I've seen pictures of them by the sending unit, but mine doesn't have anything there. I wonder what date they changed. Sounds like both of our were October 1967 engines.

I'm going to look again tomorrow, but like you, I didn't see any numbers on the back of the engine. I've seen pictures of them by the sending unit, but mine doesn't have anything there. I wonder what date they changed. Sounds like both of our were October 1967 engines.

A friend told me the numbers on the engine and transmission were put on in January of 1968 and after that date. Russ

Auto Transport Service
Back