• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger from San Diego

I did the YOM black tag too. 8 trips to DMV. Can you make Van Nuys in April for Spring Fling? Great gig. Track, Cruise, Ahow, Swap etc.

Yeah the DMV seems to always end in a nightmare, especially with something like the YOM process being done somewhat rarely. I did make it to the Spring Fling once a few years ago and really enjoyed it (without the Charger unfortunately) and I'm going to try to make it again this year. It was the first car show I'd been too that wasn't mostly Chevy and Ford with a couple Mopars sprinkled in. It was a beautiful thing!

Welcome to FBBO from the O.C. Just north of you. Sweet Charger you have there. As Den is says - try to make it to the Spring Fling in April. I'm going to try and get the GTX up there as well.

Thanks all!

Dan, the plates are original plates from '68, but not original to the car. A couple years ago I went through the process of finding unregistered plates and an unused registration sticker from 1968, then going through the Hell that is the CA DMV to get them registered to my car. Now I believe you can just apply for the black and yellow vanity plates, but I still like having the correct era plates on there. It was worth it in the end. Also, dodgecharger.com has helped me through some good projects... great folks over there!

Thanks for the reply. I've always thought that the California '68 plates had either started with "U", "V" or "W". There could be an "X" in there also I suppose. Here is my original '68 Charger license plate. Scheduled build date March 25 1968.

I looked up the actual year usage of these plates. They are as follows:
1963-AAA-RDA
1964-RDB-SDP
1965-SDQ-TEC
1966-TED-UGD
1967-UGE-WEC
1968-WED-YCE
1969 YCF-ZZZ

Dan

Edit - there must have been a hell of a lot of '63 cars registered in California.

SPD 325_1-.JPG

My understanding is it depended on the DMV and volume of registrations. A lower alpha plate could lay on a shelf in a small desert town for a long time. An accurate breakdown is unlikely. That said, when looking for a tag for mine, I targeted W X or Y for the first letter being a 69. Also, stickers were annual until 69 as pictured
image.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I've always thought that the California '68 plates had either started with "U", "V" or "W". There could be an "X" in there also I suppose. Here is my original '68 Charger license plate. Scheduled build date March 25 1968.

I looked up the actual year usage of these plates. They are as follows:
1963-AAA-RDA
1964-RDB-SDP
1965-SDQ-TEC
1966-TED-UGD
1967-UGE-WEC
1968-WED-YCE
1969 YCF-ZZZ

Dan

Edit - there must have been a hell of a lot of '63 cars registered in California.

View attachment 401949

Wow it looks like they produced most of the plates in '63 (including mine). That's a good breakdown of plate manufacturing dates, thanks for the info!

If not mistaken, ALL California Black plates are stamped 63. The series ran til 70 when tags were changed to Blue.

Not to get into the weeds...but...got pulled over in San Jose for expired tags. Officer said they came back expired in 08 when the original car was scrapped. DMV says it is not fixable and the car needs to be run by VIN. When run by VIN, plates come up current. DMV says I should inform SJPD. Right. Good luck with that. ANY LEO who runs YGJ-516 will get an expired message on their screen. Only after the traffic stop can it be proven current.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back