• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger Sway Bar Dilemma

Charger Too

Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
Is it possible my 318 Charger did not come with a sway bar and links? I don’t see any tabs on the lower control arms. Should I install one, even if it did not come with one originally? If so, are the aftermarket kits okay to use? Thanks

Not a dilemma at all.

Parts could have been swapped, or I didn't get one. If you want one, put one on.

Some aftermarket's hang down too low.
I like the factory parts.

Not a dilemma at all.

Parts could have been swapped, or I didn't get one. If you want one, put one on.

Some aftermarket's hang down too low.
I like the factory parts.
What are the pros and cons with them? Is it possible my car did not come with one? Can I attach a tab to my control arm? Weld or bolted on?

What are the pros and cons with them? Is it possible my car did not come with one? Can I attach a tab to my control arm? Weld or bolted on?
Yes they can be added. I think pretty much all aftermarket kits come with bolt on tabs if your lca doesn't have them. I had no bars at all on my 69 for almost 15 years. She'd lean in corners but it wasn't unenjoyable to drive. Kinda like driving a dirt car. I put front and rear bars on it a couple years ago and been autocrossing it. I think the front bar will make the car feel flatter for you in a corner but I think it'll plow without also having a matched rear bar. For street driving thats no problem. The only downside to a front bar is my oil filter won't come out the bottom of my car. Not sure why that's the case or if it's normal but I can get it out the top so no problem.

Personally...I've never seen a 68 charger without a sway bar from the factory...318 or not.

$49 at Jegs part number

515-23366​

Look at Hellwig's sway bar that uses the bottom shock stud.

It's NICE and simple with no welding.

Good quality bar from a very respectable MFG.

Find yourself factory lower arms with tabs and a factory sway bar and be done with it. It all fits and it looks right. It's a little more work but it will be. Worth it in the end. If you can't find the parts let me know I have everything of my 69 r/t that I'm not using

I just installed front and rear sway bars from Summit. Once the front bar is in place the tabs can be welded. Maybe drive it a bit to see where the tabs want to seat. If helps I can send a better photo of the tabs on Monday.
Can they be welded on with the lower control arm installed on the car?

20240214_144232 (1).jpg

20240213_153417 (1).jpg

I just installed front and rear sway bars from Summit. Once the front bar is in place the tabs can be welded. Maybe drive it a bit to see where the tabs want to seat. If helps I can send a better photo of the tabs on Monday.

View attachment 1637897

Looks good, which front sway bar from summit is that?

It is the 1.125
ACO-K1-541-0U
Sway Bar, Black, Steel, Front, 1 1/8 in. Diameter, Dodge, Plymouth, Kit
(Mfr. #: 541)​
ADKq_NZJKzaSJ74jX5Edf7s0V9OCoU0fRqGyjA3nmToaknYlp-O5870vCO7qsM4W_zpFjLwHwRQWD_rGkMuf_2pivZeHYsvVs4FEzNNCpslFl-bXi7wr8UZY2HHOtiM=s0-d-e1-ft
Ready to Ship
Ground​
ADKq_NZJKzaSJ74jX5Edf7s0V9OCoU0fRqGyjA3nmToaknYlp-O5870vCO7qsM4W_zpFjLwHwRQWD_rGkMuf_2pivZeHYsvVs4FEzNNCpslFl-bXi7wr8UZY2HHOtiM=s0-d-e1-ft
$230.56​
1​
$230.56​

I have a set of mount tabs that will work $100 with hardware.
Also have a rear sway bar.

If end up swapping out the lower control arms I would suggest putting in heavier torsion bars at that time.
You can also just weld on tabs to your existing lower control arms.

Auto Transport Service
Back