• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 1968 Coronet 440 big block 4 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmchrgr

Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Up for sale is my 1968 Coronet 440. Car is located in my climate-controlled garage in Stamford, CT about an hour north of NYC. Clear CT title in my name, current State of CT. registration. This is 1 of 934 big block 440 trim cars produced that year. It's basically a Super Bee without the graphics. I've owned the car since 2018. I bought it out of Quebec, Canada though it was a US market car built in November of 1967. This car was originally equipped with a bench seat and column shift 727 but is now a bucket seat console 4 speed. Comes with a build sheet.

There is no rust on this car. The previous owner restored the body and paint in the unique and rare '68-only QQ1 medium blue metallic. There were some patches welded in before it was painted but the panels are still mostly original. I have pictures of the process the P.O. sent me before I bought it if anyone is interested. There is no evidence of it ever having been in an accident. The paint has some flaws but it's otherwise very clean and presents well. I get a lot of compliments wherever I take it and it always stands out.

Over the last few years, this car has received a lot of "upgraded" parts if you will including a complete-front-to-back rewire, all new front and rear suspension and converting the car to Holley Sniper EFI. These modifications were done mostly to enhance the car's drivabilty and/or durability which I'm happy to say had the desried effect. I also went to great lengths to keep everything as original looking as possible so at first glance it looks like stock resto. Most people do not even notice the EFI under the air cleaner unless I point it out. Reagdless, I can describe everything that was done in excruciating detail for perspective buyers but let's just say the only things that have been left alone are the paint and body, the original short block and the rear axle.

This car is an above-average driver. It runs and handles good and presents very well. The interior is clean and comfortable. It gets driven regularly in good weather including frequent trips of 50+ miles. I would not be afraid to drive this car anywhere.

Should anyone want to put it back into it's original configuration, the car will come with all the take-off parts I have for it including the numbers-matching 727.

Asking $50K.

Please PM me here with any questions. Sorry, no trades so please do not ask.

Thanks,

Greg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

11.29.21.jpg

IMG_1180.JPG

I forgot to mention that I have a fairly decent power bulge hood that I am willing to include with the car for the right price. This extra hood is GG1 dark green and will need some work but it is a good starting point. I have the accent spears with new gaskets for it too. If you've tried locating one of these hoods in recent years, you'd know they are really hard to find and can cost big bucks even for ones that need rust repair. To be clear - I will not sell the hood separately right now.

And again regarding the other take-off parts - whatever was changed out for new/upgraded pieces and was worth keeping will go with the car. A bunch of these items were the numbers-matching original equipment - the 727, the fuel tank, radiator, leaf springs and torsion bars, intake manifold, hi-po exhaust manifolds, cylinder heads, wiring, radio, bench seat, steering column and various other small parts. There's other parts that I can't think of right now but when the time comes I will round it all up and organize it for the new owner.

For all you numbers guys - didn't realize it but I actually have two build sheets for this car. Build date of October 23, 1967.

Build sheet one.
Build sheet 1.jpeg

Build sheet two.
build sheet2.jpeg

Here's the fender tag.
Fender tag.jpeg

Tag decodes as follows:

CAR: Dodge Coronet 440 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 383cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.35x14
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: October 23.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Split Bench Seats. Light Blue Interior.
PAINT: Light Blue Metallic (Dodge), Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Racing Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
55: Body Side Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
R1: AM Radio
W2: Tinted Windshield Only

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
p6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror

I was looking over the build sheet and thought I should clarify one thing;

The rear axle build sheet code is 40/4 which is for the standard 3.23 rear axle. In the next box, there is a code '408' that appears to indicate whether a Sure Grip was to be installed or not. On my build sheet, its blank which I thought was odd since the axle is definitely a Sure Grip.

I'm guessing the 408 code may have been there for when a Sure Grip was to be added to a non-standard ratio, like a 3.55 or 2.94. Regardless, if your car was built with code 40/4 code (and 408 was left blank), a Sure Grip was standard equipment with 383 4bbl engines anyway so you got the S.G. whether you wanted it or not.

I have a feeling you could not have ordered a non-standard ratio with the 383 4bbl though because there was no option indicated for anything else on the dealer build spec. sheet. One of those weird things I guess.

Again, regardless of what the build sheet looks like, the axle is indeed a Sure Grip.

Carry on.

Lot of likes and thanks which I certainly appreciate but if anyone has specific questions or wants to speak to me directly please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

I like the gauges , very clean looking ! no additional wording or branding , very nice .. so with that being said lol what brand are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back