• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500

Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
So I’m riding down the backroads yesterday north of San Francisco and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a coronet. I circled back to find a 1968 satellite 383 and a 1968 coronet 500 with a 440.
Here’s the question: my brother got into a debate and he says that the 1968 coronet only came with a 440 in RT trim. Was it possible to get a 440 in a 500 trim level?

Could you get a 440-6 in an R/T?
GTX you could couldn't you?

Technically I say no. RR & Bee

Mopars are confusing.
The 440 and 500 "trim" levels lead some to the wrong conclusion about engine size.

i have a 66 coronet 500 with a factory 440, i know its not 68, but still. im guessing you went into a dealer and came out with what you wanted.

Mopars are confusing.
The 440 and 500 "trim" levels lead some to the wrong conclusion about engine size.
Especially amongst insurers.
Mine wanted to know what engine size I had. I told her a v-8 which for some reason did not suffice. So I said 440. After thinking about it I called back and sure enough that's what they had as trim . Level.
After some coaching she got it correct. Trim is a 500 with A v-8.

Definitely a 440. Looks to be an original install. If the build sheet is available I should be able to prove this. Any thoughts guys? Buy it right?

Auto Transport Service
Back